Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Techno Boy

I could have sworn Ptolemy was saying, "Oh, there's my Kindle!  Oh, there's my Kindle!"  I looked around and he was pointing to Xanthe's Leapfrog device.  I handed it to him and he lovingly said, "My Kindle!"  It's so funny how babies are a product of their environment.  Tolly switched on "his Kindle" and pretended to read it in the car.  He also loves my phone, like all kids.  He says, "I see a pictures."  I hand him the phone, he swipes the screen to unlock it, touches the camera icon, then the slideshow icon and swipes through all the pictures.  There's a cute video on there of Tolly naming all the animals he likes.  On the video, he says, "I like elephants!"  When PT watches it, he laughs in delight and says, "Mom!  He likes elephants!"

It's uncanny how the new generation knows what to do with buttons.  Ptolemy got in the front seat of the car yesterday and tried to turn on the radio.  He kept asking, "Where NPR go?  Where NPR?"  Sadly, that probably comes from me saying, "OK, let's be very quiet now and listen to NPR."  But I can only talk about armadillos for so long before needing to hear an adult voice!

If the computer is on, Tolly climbs up on the chair and swipes the screen.  Of course, nothing happens because our computer's technology hasn't caught up with Tolly's expectations.  Part of our bedtime ritual is carrying PT around so he can push a button on the microwave, the AC and the washer and dryer.  I still think evolution is going to lead to humans eventually having giant thumbs, to better manipulate electronics.  That is, unless someone invents what Tolly wants, machines that know what you're talking about when you say, "I see a pictures!"  The device would fly to a spot in front of your face and start showing pictures of babies who like elephants.  Now that's progress.  Bill Gates?  Anyone?  Can you get started on that, please?  Thanks.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

I think I'm going to die of laughter! "Where NPR go?"
:)

Nate said...

Amazing how qick they learn to access technology. I loved the description of Tolly watching himself looking at animals:)