Monday, September 26, 2011

Tolly's Leg Up

It was actually Thursday that Ptolemy fell off the playground.  By Friday, he still wouldn't stand up or walk.  If I set him on his legs, he just said, "Mom!  Mom!  I fall off a playground!  My leg hoots!"  By the way he collapsed if he put any wight on it, I thought for sure something was fractured.  The soonest we could get in to see our awesome orthopedic surgeon was Friday at 4:30.  At about 3:30, after I had found rides for the other kids to ballet, cello and guitar and arranged babysitting, Tolly started taking a couple of tentative steps.  The doc did some x-rays and thought he saw a tiny fracture on PT's pelvic bone, but it was so small, he said, it was probably already healing.  Now the kid can walk with a limp, but if he wants something he can't have, he says, "I fall off a playground!"  It gets him whatever he wants.  Kids learn quickly!

In case you're in the area and have a broken bone, Dr. Richter at McKay is the best.  He took care of Ruby's broken arm and Xanthe's collarbone a few years ago, so I knew he was good, and always right on time!!  This time the entire visit, with x-rays, took 28 minutes and I was on my way back home.  I was relieved Tolly was OK, but I felt a bit sheepish in the doctor's office.  On the wall were autographed photos of the U.S. Olympic ski team, Olympic skateboarders, etc., all with personal notes saying, "Thanks for putting me back together!"  I can only imagine the injuries.  And here I am with a baby who is basically fine, saying, "Yeah, he fell off the playground.  I mean, he took the half-pipe way too fast, man!"  I was tempted to lie for a minute there, but I opted for efficiency instead, and got home in time to go with Scott to guitar, where we grabbed some sushi during the lesson and talked about the kids and what could possibly be next...

4 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm glad he is okay. Yes... they do learn how to milk the system. Tolly is a quick learner. :)

Jennifer said...

Healing thoughts Tolly's way! I left a message Friday but am kicking myself for not following up in person to see how I could help you with your other children. I'm so sorry. I hope you know that I would be happy to help in any way, anytime. Especially since I know where that cello teacher lives!

Jennifer said...

Should have included the word "Sending" healing thoughts. What I get for speaking telegraphically.

Aarrgh! "See" what I get?

Kristi said...

So glad he's a-ok. Love that he's figured out how to milk it though.