Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Boxes


"We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." — Marjorie Pay Hinckley

I just think we all need constant reminders of this!  It's something Nana has learned well.  Look at her Christmas tree.  It rests in a box in the garage 11 months out of the year, until Nana brings it in, takes it out of the box and calls her decorating done.  She may or may not plug it in on any given day...it doesn't make a huge difference, since all but two of the lights are burned out.  No matter, Ptolemy thought it was worthy of a picture, with him in it, of course.  If a two-year-old thinks it's great, what more do you want out of Christmas?  Besides, don't kids always love the boxes more than the gifts?  I remember the Christmas we got a new fridge and the Christmas we got a big-screen TV...because the boxes were so big.


I have to ask myself, are the things I'm doing meant to strengthen my family, community and myself or am I doing them so I can check a box?  The only boxes I want to check are those that make my home a more peaceful place, my children more grateful, prepared and educated, my family closer to the blessings of the gospel and my friends happy to have me around.  Other boxes, I can just leave empty.  Empty boxes are the best kind.  Leave some of them around this season.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful!

Jennie said...

Nana is amazing. I hope I look that great when I'm her age.

I totally agree about the boxes. I have to remind myself of this truth often!

laurel said...

So true. Sometimes I find myself too busy to do something that really matters with Maylin. Yesterday, I tried to slow it down and do something with her that she wanted to do, not something I had to do.

We made cupcakes.

Taylor Family said...

I love this post. It makes me think of our tree. I let the kids decorate the whole tree this year and I have to keep telling myself not to go fix it. They were so proud of it I don't want them to think that I can do it better.

Jennifer said...

This is such a skillful use of metaphor, and I'll be thinking about both kinds of empty boxes all this giving season. (Sheesh! Does it sound like I'm commenting on a literature class essay? It's because you're the master!)

Kristi said...

Good reminder. I like that angle!