Sunday, November 20, 2011

While Visions of Sugarplums Danced in Their Heads...










The Clowns:  Blair, Golda and Zoe.  What a fun part!  They got to be animated and whimsical, and they all did a great job.  They were so fun to watch!





The Red and Blue Soldiers posing with the "backstage lady," Dana.  Dana always makes sure everything comes off without a hitch.  Araceli had fun with the new friends she made.  I think Ari was the most prepared soldier in history.  She had a solution for everything.  A backstage lady got mad at Ruby one night when she wasn't in costume.  Ari said to Ruby, "I can get you backstage."  Love the confidence!  When Ruby lost her phone, Weber State called us.  I wondered how they knew my phone number until Ari said, "I gave the office our phone number and told them to call us if they found Ruby's phone or anything else of ours."  I can't believe that actually worked with Ruby's phone.  Any time we needed anything, Ari immediately pulled it out of her giant bag.  She even brought a blanket each night which she hung up in the dressing room on a curtain rod, making a little changing room which she then dictated the use of.  She might take over Dana's job someday!  She has all the skills to make a production run smoothly, and she knows how to do damage control, too.  Look at the letter she wrote Ruby after the costume mishap:
She said it wasn't Ruby's fault, it was the "mean, dumb costume lady's folt."  OK, maybe Ari needs to work on some people skills before she takes over a major production.  :)


The Chinese.  I can't believe I didn't get a picture of my group of ten little Chinese dancers.  I was so proud of them for the way they executed their dance.  They really learned it well, they focused and they had fun onstage without being crazy.  In fact, they even won a little prize from the backstage crew!  One of the ladies told me how well-behaved the Chinese were, and the next night they got a "Stars of Backstage" award, which was really cute.  The girls were excited about it.  I was glad they were listening when I explained how to act:  no touching props, no asking for props, no talking, line up and be quiet, never talk or act silly.  Good job, Chinese!
 The Arabians.  I'm bad at group pictures, I guess, because I didn't get any!  But these are the two Arabian Soloists.  Parts in this production are rarely if ever double cast, so it was special for Hailey and Ruby to share this part.  It was a blessing to both of them the way it worked out, and they had a great time developing their friendship and sharing the experience.  Hailey has been a violin student of mine for years, her sisters have been in my ballet class, and we love their family dearly.
 Here is Ruby with a runaway mouse.  She must have left the nest after the Mouse King was killed.  :)  The girls are so lucky to have each other during the most exciting times in their lives.  Lexie did a great job as a mouse.  I was able to watch from backstage and keep track of her as she grabbed a little dancer dressed as a gingerbread then played her part in the fight scene.  I always lost track of her halfway through because of her mask, but all the mice were great!
 Ruby on the way to costuming to be sewn into her costume.
Ready to go on.

 The four Arabian Soloists, Dallin, Landon, Hailey and Ruby.  I think every girl in the production has a little crush on the Hart twins.  They are so nice and polite and good to the girls...Listen to me, I sound like a mom!  Let's face it, the girls are enthralled by the twins' extremely good looks!  It was a big week for them.  They both got their mission calls on Wednesday, both to Chile, different missions.  We're all devastated that they won't be there to hoist the Arabian Soloist next year.  They seem so irreplaceable!  Ruby was lucky to have the opportunity to work with the boys their last year before the missions.  She loved every minute of it!




Holding back tears after the last performance.
 More tears...some of the older girls just finished their very last Nutcracker.  Sad!



Golda and Lexie:  "OK, can I cry now?"

The girls put on smile for Grandma, then it was back to tears.  On the way to the car, Ruby had the only "quote" of the week.  "I can't believe it's already over!  What about quotes?"  It all went so fast, we didn't even have any killer quotes from the week.  We do have a bunch of amazing memories.  It might have been the best Nutcracker ever.  Judging by all the sniffling and sobbing in the car on the way home, some of the girls were thinking about next year and the uncertainly of the future, wishing this week wouldn't come to an end.  The occasional choked giggle and funny story demonstrated their love and affection for the memories, the friends, the bonds and the growth Nutcracker gave them this year. 
 Goodbye, Nutcracker 2011...

8 comments:

Jennie said...

What a great post! I love all the pictures. The girls did a great job. Thanks for taking Lexie on the night I was "off duty". She always has fun with you guys. She can't stop talking about the oreo shake. :) Is she my daughter, or what? :) Yes... it was a great week. One for the record books for sure!

Michelle said...

Great post! This is the week when I miss Brittany dancing the most. So glad I get to live it through your girls!

laurel said...

Awesome! What a fun thing. COngratulations on such a great ballet!

Taylor Family said...

It looks like they had so much fun. Sorry I never got back to you about the extra ticket. I didn't get your message until late that night. Thanks for the invite I would have loved to have seen it.

Jennifer said...

Great pictures! Thank you for your help transporting Emma. Maybe someday she'll smile and pose for me the way your cute girls did. I felt like she didn't want me around. :) Elise told me this morning that the Chinese dance was her favorite. Good job, teacher!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful..so glad I can be there through your blog!...All the girls looked amazing and I am sure they did just as amazing in their performance as they looked!...so grown up and so beautiful, each one of them!..So beautiful..you even have me crying for you..and the little goodbye to the Nutcracker!!..How appropriate!..Love, Tricia..Thanks for sharing the memories!xo

Nate said...

Congratulations to Golda Ruby Ari and You:) Ari...you seem to be able to take charge and think things through well:)

Kristi said...

I can just feel the joy and magic that the Nutcracker is at your house. What a fun and amazing thing to share with your girls each season. They are so beautiful in their costumes. What an incredible opportunity you've given them, through dance. Wow.