Wednesday, November 16, 2011

First Looks

 Christmas is coming!  Scott cleaned out the garage Saturday and put our Christmas tree on the front porch, so I invited it in early for a little holiday cheer.  We got on a bit of a roll and hauled out all the trees, and now our house is a twinkly wonderland.  It's only fitting that Christmas arrive this week, since it's Nutcracker week!  If you're going to have that iconic music running through your head, you might as well have ornaments to look at and, come to think of it, hot cocoa to drink.  We have it all. 
 Sneak peek at Ari's Nutcracker gifts for the other Blue Soldiers:  elf-striped socks.
 The tree.  It looks better in real life!  Not perfect, though, since our decorating method is "get the ornaments on the tree."
 I just think this is funny.  Ptolemy had a horrible rash on his face.  He's holding up the skeleton saying, "Scary!"  With the arrival of Thanksgiving/Christmas, Halloween is officially dead around here, so hopefully this is a LAST look.
My table was set all week, waiting for my Women's Shelter lunch, my heavenly respite from the world/weekly therapy session.  My mom's Thanksgiving china got a trial run today with some non-holiday fare:  pesto pasta.  And on the table is a new book by Mike Ramsdell, author of Train to Potevka.  His new book is called Gift of Potevka.  Scott ran into Mike yesterday at Costco and had him autograph a book.  I can't wait to read it! 

And in other first looks, last night was our first Nutcracker dress rehearsal.  Golda looked so darling in her clown makeup and Ari was adorable as a blue soldier.  It is so fun to see them onstage!  Ruby's part is double cast, so tonight will be the first time we get to see her in all her costumed glory.  My Chinese dancers performed their best, so now I can relax and enjoy the curtain going up...on both Nutcracker and a wonderful holiday season.  What is your first look at the holidays looking like?

5 comments:

The homestead said...

How fun! I love all your holiday decorations. Just looking at this post puts me in the mood.

Jennifer said...

I got to chaperone the Chinese dancers Tuesday. They are a fun group!

laurel said...

Really? What a good mom and dad you are. I am actually thinking about not having a tree this year. I am sooooooo tired and overwhelmed. Besides we will be in HAwaii, so the kids should be able to get over not having a tree. At least I hope they will!

Jennie said...

Thanks for lunch today. It was delicious. Lexie had a great time tonight. What a memorable dress rehearsal! :)

Marilyn said...

Beautiful decorations. I loved the book Train to Potevka--we'll have to get his new one.