Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Little Sis


We tell Ptolemy that Tziporah is "in there" and pat Mom's tummy.  He seems to get it, but maybe he doesn't.  The other day, I patted my bump and said, "Tizzy is right in here!"  Ptolemy looked and looked and finally said, "In there??  BISCUSTING!!"  Then he ran away.

Later he was walking around with his middle sticking out, saying, "Tziporah in here!"  It's got to be a really weird concept for a two-year-old!


On a different note, it's a strange concept for a six-year-old, too.  Xanthe has been talking a lot about her eye lately and how she wants to fix it.  I took one of those opportunities to explain how her eye was probably broken from the time she was born because she came early and was so tiny.  (Retinopathy of Prematurity is the diagnosis)  She said, "Why didn't you have me later?"  Well, that about broke my heart.  I gently said, "Remember, I wasn't there.  I wish I could have been there, but a mom in China carried you in her tummy.  Moms sometimes don't get to decide when their babies are born, but I bet she thought you were perfect when you came out."

Big things to think about.  Huge.  I'm glad Xanthe has the chance to see me go through pregnancy.  I don't know how it will fit into her understanding, but maybe it will give her more of a context for what it meant for her China Mom to carry her, give birth to her and love her.  Xanthe's story is not less or more...it's her own beautiful journey to be embraced.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Cute Tolly! Pregnancy must be baffling indeed to little children. I remember my nephew asking me if I had swallowed Lily, when we explained to him that baby Lily was in my tummy.

Always love hearing your thoughts on Xanthe's adoption and birth mother. I think you are saying and teaching her all the right things. :)

Jennie said...

These two little ones are some of my favorite people. I'm hoping to get Lasik soon. I SO wish there was something else that could be done for X's eye. I'm sure that is beyond frustrating.