Friday, November 11, 2011

Food Rules for Today

These are things that make me feel better and, as an added bonus, are good for weight loss. 

Cereal mix:  I love to make granola with oats, flax seeds, wheat germ, butter and brown sugar.  It's not very good for you, but I mixed it for a ratio of about 20% granola and 80% Cheerios, puffed wheat and Grape Nuts and it's still delicious.  Also, I bought skim milk for the first time in my life.  My dad makes skim taste better by putting it in the freezer until it's slightly frozen.  Top it with fruit and yogurt.  I buy Mountain High plain yogurt because it's half the price of Greek and has all the live, active cultures and no added sugar.  There is really no point in eating yogurt if it has corn syrup in it.

My favorite bread, Jack Spratt's, is so good drenched with butter!  Now I eat it toasted with avocado slices or mashed strawberries instead.

We eat a lot of Mexican-style food, which I like to eat with cheese and sour cream.  We had chicken fajitas this week, which were just as delicious with no cheese or sour cream, just salsa and cilantro.  I'm trying to use spices and fresh foods like salsa to flavor food instead of relying on various forms of fat and sugar like so many recipes do.

Whole grain pancakes made with pumpkin, cinnamon and grated apples are a big hit with my kids.  (Scott is a MUCH better pancake maker than I am.  I don't have the patience.)  Instead of syrup and butter, we top them with lots of yogurt and fruit.  It's good for dinner, especially if you cook the pancakes and dice the fruit beforehand.

Sushi...so fresh and so good for you.  I know I can eat it when I'm preggo, but there's such a stigma, I think I'll wait until after the baby before I indulge in a Rainbow or Spider roll.  Tolly and Ruby like a tempura-battered Rock and Roll with cooked salmon inside.  I'm still working on some of the other kids, but Japanese food is a good, healthy habit to foster. I lived with Japanese roommates for two years and their diet couldn't have been more fresh or tasty.

In China, oranges are traditionally served after meals.  I try to keep with the idea of single-ingredient foods, especially for dessert.  Apple slices, those Cutie oranges or even a piece of dark chocolate, which is the standard at Coco and Bill's, are healthier than any baked good.  Which isn't to say that Jennifer should EVER stop bringing me apple pie whenever she feels like it.  There are healthy foods, and then there are foods that make life worth living!  Balance, right?


6 comments:

The homestead said...

So sorry to hear about your gallbladder. Nothing will keep you down though. Thank you for sharing your healthy eating ideas with us.

Jennifer said...

How do you type a spit-laugh?

Michelle said...

I love your attitude! You are going to be such an expert!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have the right balance idea, good things to eat and a bit of chocolate..what could be better? Can you put chocolate chips in the pancakes and it still be healthy? The news says chocolate is good for us, right? Good luck with the gall bladder!.XO Tricia..remember when you and Sarah would love butter and sugar on your bread and that was it???

Bluffdale 8th said...

HOpefully these diet changes will help you feel better!

laurel said...

That last comment was from me. Sorry, logged in on my ward account!