Monday, November 28, 2011

You, Me and The Dog

This morning when I got up to take Xanthe and Freestone to violin and piano, I couldn't see.  And it wasn't because it was pitch black outside at 6:30 in the morning.  I had a migraine.  What a pain!  I'm hardly ever afflicted by a migraine.  I keep thinking I've outgrown them.  By the time we got to lessons, I could see but my arm was asleep.  I got through the lessons and back home before my head started to really hurt.  Scott was at the kitchen table in his track suit, working from home.  He has a nasty cold.  And to top it all off, Star was sick, too.  The kids were worried she wouldn't make it through the night last night.  She just rested on a blanket.  She hadn't begged for food for two days, which is completely out of character.  We knew she was sick because she wasn't a complete nuisance. 

Thanks to Scott being home, I got to rest while Ptolemy grilled him on his work.  "You doing your homework, Dad?  You looking at your blog?  I need egg nog!  Dad!  Look at me!"  PT is quite the heckler.  With help from Scott, snippets of Christmas shows and a long nap for Ptolemy, Star and I were able to rest for most of the day until the crowds hit at 3.  Between the hours of 3:00 and bedtime, moms have to be dead or in the hospital to get out of their duties, so I declared myself better.  Star was better, too.  I knew it when she started watching the kitchen floor for Ptolemy's crumbs.  I think Bill just sneaked her too much stuffing on Thanksgiving.

I can't remember ever being glad that Scott was sick.  I hate to generalize, but men can be wimps when they're under the weather.  I always tell Scott if he doesn't feel good to take a pillow to work and rest under his desk.  I'm not Florence Nightengale!  I sure was glad Scott was home today, though, working through his cold, keeping Ptolemy entertained and convincing me to stay in bed.  Probably not the sick day Scott would have liked, but he did get a lot done for work, and he got to be my hero, too. 

5 comments:

Shane and Kenzie said...

Sorry about your migrane... those are the pits!
Two years ago Shane was complaining about not feeling well and not wanting to go to work. I figured he had some sort of "man sickness" and I basically forced him to go. 30 minutes later he called saying he was on his way home because he lossed his cookies a few times on the side of the FREEWAY in rush hour traffic, in SLC.
Poor Shane... I can now say I have learned my lesson, and from now on I need to believe him. ;)

Michelle said...

So sorry you got that awful migrane! Hope tomorrow is better. Glad Scott could save you!

Jennie said...

I'm so sorry everyone is feeling yucky. I hate to tell you this, but that dang cold is going to last for about 2 weeks in some form or another. Today is day 14 for me and I still have a random cough. What a pain. Hope you all get feeling better.

Nate said...

Hope the migratne is over & glad you got some rest from 8-3! I remember when you had a root canal and told the dentist that it was a vacation! Can so relate:)

Kristi said...

Oooh, Lily battles migraines and they are the worst! I'm so sorry. Hope you and Scott are both feeling better.