Sunday, September 9, 2012

Dads and Sons...and Cousins and Brothers

 Freestone and Scott went to the cabin this weekend for the Boys Trip.  All the boys in the family except Jeremy, Kiptyn, Bam Bam and Ptolemy were there.  It was a very manly trip!  The boys watched the (very disappointing) Utah-Utah State game, ate and Chuck-a-Rama and went fishing.  They did other things, too, which I don't remember because I'm a girl, and also, I wasn't there.

All the cousins love each other and have a great time together.  I am proud of and grateful for Grandpa and all the uncles for being such good examples to my boys - and girls.  We are fortunate to have a loving family.  there is probably a quote about the family who fishes together, stays together, or something like that.  I'll have to look for it on the walls of Grandpa's cabin.  This weekend, it was true.  All the boys, big and little, had a great time.


 I love how at least three of the boys brought the hoodies Grandma and Grandpa gave them for Christmas.  Freestone loves his!
 Grandpa...in his element.







 We missed the boys while they were gone, but we were busy with auditions and dance and guitar classes and recitals and church.  (Ruby got set apart as Beehive president today.  The bishop was calling her "President Dopp."  I thought that might be going a wee bit too far, but I love President Dopp and I'm proud of her.)

After the dust of the weekend settled and the boys came back to us, we left life behind and drove up to Park City to take in the autumn leaves and soak up the last gasp of summer at the pool, where we had lunch.  Just an hour from home, it truly felt like we were on vacation from everything.  We forget that our souls have to be recharged...until they are...by a whispering at church, by a flaming fall mountainside, by time with people we love, by a bag of peanut M&M's poolside...or by a visit from a favorite aunt upon our return, with a plate of the season's first batch of Jennie's Pumpkin Cookies.  A perfect match for this evening's sunset.  Now we're ready for the week.  I loved this Sabbath.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like nature to quiet the soul and replenish the soul along with whisperings from the spirit. I can't believe it is time for the leaves to change, I do miss autumn in Utah and the beautiful leaves...we are going to have a cold front here..88 degrees!..with scattered showers!..no change of leaves though!..But beautiful sunrises over the ocean!..but I miss seasons..enjoy!..now that your souls have been replenished from a day at the Dopp Ranch and Park City Ranch..XO From Miami Tricia P.S. Did you cook Freestone's fish? or was it catch and release?...I remember my first fish about his age!..Great Memories for all, you are always creating them.

Taylor Family said...

Love the pictures. I am going to steal them and put them on my blog. The boys had fun with Scott too.

Jennie said...

I love all the pics of the boys' trip. Scott was able to get some great shots. I'm glad you liked the cookies. Hopefully they weren't doughy. Oh, and make sure and post the audition results. We can't wait to hear.

Jennifer said...

What disappointing game? ;)

You are so eloquent. I loved this passage: "We forget that our souls have to be recharged...until they are...by a whispering at church, by a flaming fall mountainside, by time with people we love, by a bag of peanut M&M's poolside." I'm 3 for 4 ... now I know what's missing to make me feel fully recharged!

I can't get over how grown up Freestone looks in that first shot.


Kristi said...

You guys have all the fun! September in Park City is heavenly.