Friday, September 7, 2012

Tolly's Cronies




Ptolemy has come up with a new routine.  Get the kids off to school and then say, "Wet's go get Abe and Esmae!"  I tell him every day that Esmae went to school and he says, with an outraged face, "Again!?!?"  Yesterday we had Abe and Isaac come over to play so I could concentrate on my new part-time job:  reading disclosures and paying school fees online.  Between all the kids, we have 21 teachers, and ya, I read all the stuff they send home.  Incidentally, I have only ever read one disclosure that didn't have typos and/or spelling and grammar errors.  Ruby's Honors English disclosure said, "Higher standards are expected of honor's students."  Oh. My. Gosh!!!  Does anyone care about grammar anymore?  (The one disclosure that was perfect was from the Honors English team at the high school.)  I think I missed my calling as an editor, but I'm doing fine as a really annoying parent who reads and annotates disclosures with a red pen.

Anyway, Ptolemy and his cronies are blissfully unaware of disclosure statements and superfluous apostrophes.  They wandered the field looking for deer poop, they ate cheese, they gathered acorns.  They would make great squirrels!  I love having a bunch of three-year-olds.  If I told them not to do something, Abe would say, "Well, Ptolemy 'tarted it!"  It was so adorable, I started thinking of things to say no to, just to hear Abe blame the whole thing on Ptolemy.  Things went well until Tolly got frustrated.  He said, "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarg.  Isaac won't mind me!"  I tried to explain that his friends don't have to obey him, but people not responding to Ptolemy's commands was a concept that was way over his head.

When the friends went home, Ptolemy made "a shoot gun for you and a shoot gun for me" out of Legos.  Then I had to spend the rest of the afternoon making shooting noises while pointing a stack of Legos at Ptolemy with one hand, emailing band parents with the other hand and feeding Tziporah with the other hand.  Oh wait, that's three hands.

My point exactly.  Which is why Ptolemy needs his cronies.


My new system of organization.  Let's see how long it lasts.  Probably until Ptolemy and his friends erase the whole thing.  I can see it now:  "Well, Ptolemy 'tarted it!"  hee heee....

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Can Samuel be a cronie? (crony? Sorry -- I've never seen it singular.)

Laughing so hard about your part-time job! You'll have to fill me in on Mrs. J's disclosure this year. The year J had her her disclosure actually invited parents to inform her of errors, and I did. :) Wonder if the invitation got printed again ...

Catherine said...

Oh my word! That's some schedule! I'm exhausted just reading it! Impressed by the amount of prictice time your kiddos put in. You are a music teacher's dream! I'm sure you know that since you're one too! :o)

Cronies are the best! I learned that years ago when babysitting although I remember one funny story. I was babysitting 3 boys for the weekend and their 3 cousins lived next door. I ended up with all 6 boys at our place playing and having fun one afternoon.

Next door my friend's husband asked where each of his boys were and my friend said, 'Next door with Catherine.' He quickly said, 'The boys know if 4 are at one house then 2 need to be at the other.'

My friend (heh....gotta love friends!) said to her hubby with a twinkle in her eye, 'You know that and I know that....but Catherine doesn't know that!' LOL!!

Hope your weekend is quieter than your week days!

Jennifer said...

Oops! Clearly I knew Xanthe is in 2nd grade this year, but on the off chance Jennie outsources her kids' disclosures to you, you can check the 1st grade scoop for me!

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Your English is good!! I had to read that sentence like 5 times to figure out what was wrong with it. LOL

Nate said...

Wow, your schedule is amazing. Tolly tarted it is really cute! "honor" will be happy to know that higher standards are expected of her:)

laurel said...

Can you stop with the organization? Please. For once let everything in your house go to pot. Please. I am trying to decide how you do it all. Are you really WonderWoman or Oh Mighty Iceis (Spelling) and we just don't know it?

Cute baby boy!

Michelle said...

Love those faces!
And your schedule makes me tired just to look at!

Anonymous said...

Love the "Cronies" story, every little kid (and grown-ups) need their crowd of Cronies!..So cute!..Can relate to making guns out of legos and playing cowboys or cops after having two grandsons who love to do the same, boys love it!...Good luck with all the disclosures and keeping up with all the rules of everyone and assignments straight. XO Tricia

Kristi said...

Laughing.... Oh, Ptolemy. That kid cracks me up. What a fun age, even if he keeps 'tarting it.