Monday, September 15, 2008

Achy Breaky




The jury is in. Ruby's arm is broken. It happened Saturday during Ari's soccer game. Ruby was hanging upsidedown on the "bar" when an ugly little girl in a light blue soccer jersey shouted at her, "Get off!" and pushed her. OK, the girl wasn't ugly, and I don't know who she was, but I'm still a little mad at her, bless her little heart. Grrrrrr! It's the mother bear instinct.

Ruby fell right on her arm, and although she cried and complained about it, I thought she'd be fine. I'm from the "It's Just Growing Pains" school of thought. Maybe there isn't a school, but that's what my mom always said, and it's what I always say, too. To my credit, I did take her in for X-rays, where the on-call doctor gave her a sling and said if it still hurt Monday, it was probably broken. Genius.

With the help of a mega-dose of ibuprofen, Ruby valiantly went to a birthday party, a food festival at the Thai Buddhist temple, swimming with cousins and out to dinner. If you're going to be miserable, you might as well have fun at the same time, right? Towards the end, though, she wasn't having a whole lot of fun.

This morning, Dr. Scheu. helped us get into a great orthopedic surgeon. (Thanks, Mike!) Although the doctor couldn't figure out how to enlarge the X-ray on the computer screen, he was able to diagnose a frature by putting his face close to the screen and squinting. Not exactly standard procedure, but I'll take it. Notwithstanding his obvious lack of tech savvy, the doctor was knowledgable and efficient. Within minutes, Ruby was sporting a bright pink cast, set at just the right angle to allow guitar practicing. Because I'm a bad mom AND a mean mom!

Ruby immediately felt better, with the cast protecting her tender arm, and her mind at ease. My uncle had the best advice about this whole scenario. At the Thai festival Saturday, he pointed out the Buddhist monks in their orange robes and told Ruby how they try to live good, simple lives and treat people with kindness. They love peace and try to set a good example. With that said, he told Ruby, "There are jerks in the world. You'll run into about one a year. Don't let it affect you." That simple advice makes this whole episode seem like a minor inconvenience in the whole scheme of things. It could have been a lot worse. We don't even have to worry about it one bit. We'll just be thankful Ruby doesn't have to run into another jerk for a whole year, if all goes according to Uncle Jim's Philosophy of Life!

15 comments:

Michelle said...

Aaaaaaargh! I was going to call you this afternoon to hear the verdict! I say all we momma bears get together and find that mean little girl! Okay maybe not but I want to! Are we talking 6 weeks? What a brave girl ruby is, look at the great smile she is still gracing the world with!

Queen Elizabeth said...

Love your uncle's philosophy! Good luck on the healing!

Lisa and Tate said...

Coooool PINK cast!!! Where of where were the pink casts when I broke both my arms in 4th grade? Glad the arm is set for guitar practice- you mean mommie!

I like Uncle Jim's philosophy!!!

Emily said...

Rubs-
I broke my ankle in the first grade & got a hot pink cast! It was the bomb.com & I am lovin yours too!
We hope you heal fast.....

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Taylor Family said...

That is to bad. I am glad to see her with a cast though and not surgery. I am glad you uncle had such a great outlook because I was with you I wanted to hunt down the little girl. Feel better Ruby so that we can see you do your handsprings in the Nutcracker.

The homestead said...

Sorry about Ruby. Great advice from Uncle Jim! Let us know the next time there is something at the Buddhist Temple, we'd love to come!

Angela Bentley Fife said...

Bentley has got to see this little munchkin in her cast....so sorry, ruby! Let's have a I-feel-soory-for-ruby play day!

Jennie said...

Rubes! We're so sorry about your arm. We hope you get feeling better. At least it's pink right? :) Love you girl!

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marilyn said...

Great advice, Uncle Jim. We will keep that in mind. Hope recovery goes well.

SSWS said...

She was so brave at the soccer game. I have new respect for Ruby! I knew she was an amazing girl, this just confirms what I knew. Get well soon!

Anonymous said...

What a great uncle and what a great life lesson. I can definitely relate with Mother Bear though. Good luck to Ruby. Hey,
Jane and Hazel are meeting Em and I at Barnes Park this Friday around 10. If you have some free time and want to come play we would love it!

love.boxes said...

I like uncle Jim's philosophy. Good advice.

Erin said...

Whoa... that would make me mad. Honestly, who pushes someone off a monkey bar at that age? Anyway, thank heavens for wise uncles!