Monday, September 8, 2008

Turning Tides



Some days are for making dreams come true and some days are for "growing experiences." Golda didn't get the part of Clara, and she was so disappointed. Even in the moment when her devastation was fresh, she sought out the girl who got the part. Golda hugged her and shared in her celebration. Later, she kept saying through her tears that she was excited for the girl. I couldn't help but be proud of Golda's graciousness. It's not when you win that your character comes out. It's when you're defeated.

Golda got the part of Oriental Servant, which is the part I had when I finally made the Nutcracker. I'm really excited about her following in my footsteps! Ruby got the part of buffoon, and she was elated. Last year, she set her sights firmly on buffoon, to the extent that I let her take gymnastics so she could learn how to do handsprings in preparation for the audition. She worked at it doggedly, but gymnastics turned out to be a big challenge, and she didn't get the buffoon part. So tonight, Ruby was doubly thrilled that her goal was belatedly realized.

It was hard for me to balance Ruby's joy and Golda's dejection. Ruby consoled Golda, kindly putting her own excitement aside. It is tough to watch helplessly as these character building experiences arise, but it's the only way. Parents just have to grit their teeth and let the waves of despair wash over them sometimes. The alternative is being a parent who goes behind the scenes, trying to nullify or erase all the disappointment and heartache, trying to shield kids from growing and progressing. I won't be that parent. All I really had to offer Golda were tales of my own failures as a young dancer. The times I was the first one cut. The time I was the very last one cut. The time I was the only girl in the car on the way home who didn't make it. Then there was the time I was still standing after all the cuts had been made, and I still treasure that Nutcracker experience.

The tears are all dry now. Golda is thankful to be an Oriental Servant, and I am thankful to have another of childhood's hurdles behind us. Mostly, I'm thankful to have girls I'm proud of, no matter what part they dance onstage.

9 comments:

Jennie said...

C - we just got home. I'm glad you posted so we would know the outcome. We are stoked for R and so sad for G. I know what you mean about watching their disappointment. It is the worst. Golda is a sensitive soul and I'm so proud of her for reaching out to "Clara". Well done G! We sure love you both.

Michelle said...

My heart is breaking for you both. Being a mom is so hard! But you are so good at it, look at what lovley girls you are raising. Full of class just like their mom!

Lisa and Tate said...

What amazing gals you have... so sweet and sensitive. Next year G will be Clara.

Lisa

Queen Elizabeth said...

They will be fabulous in everything they do because they have such an amazing mom. Can you send some fabulousness my way, please? Please?!?! ;)

Taylor Family said...

Shoot! I am so sorry Golda. I am sure you will be amazing at the new part. We can't wait to see you and Ruby dance. You are both so graceful and talented.

Emily said...

Good Job Golda & Ruby! I hope Esmae inherits some of your dancing genes....... Circ you remind me of my Mom, she never shielded us from disappointment & though it was hard at the time the life lessons where invaluable in the long run. Golda & Ruby are impressive no matter what they are doing!

Jenny said...

When one door is closed another opens. Sometimes not getting what we want prepares us for more important things to come. I wish you both the best of luck!

love.boxes said...

When you except defeat or achievement with real grace.. that's when you really win. So, good for Golda and Ruby too. I am so proud of you both!

Kristi said...

Congratulations both of you! I was a buffoon when I was little and loved it. Let us know their performance dates.