Thursday, September 18, 2008

Waiting for the Jellicle Moon to Rise


Last night, Golda came in the kitchen at 11:00 PM. I thought I had put her to bed ages ago. I said, "Golda, what are you doing up? It had BETTER be because you've been listening to CATS." Clearly, my priorities are out of order. Nevertheless, I did feel better when Golda started singing Skimbleshanks, The Railway Cat. It got her right off the hook for being up so late.
Don't even tell me CATS isn't about anything. That would be like me breaking it to you that Sarah Palin doesn't rock. Let's not talk hot button issues. CATS is the best musical ever. I bet Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote Phantom of the Opera using a leftover melody from CATS. See, I'm getting all worked up about it. That's how fanatics get. I've seen CATS many times, the last time with Scott. He didn't love it, but we stayed married, and we're working through our differences.
Listening to CATS in the car with the kids, I can tell what song is coming by the static that precedes it. It's one of those soundtracks that I wore out when it was new. I know SWS shared my obsession, and maybe even started it. I'm pretty sure we both transcribed all the lyrics onto paper by hitting the rewind button over and over, before we realized there was a book by T. S. Eliot that had all the lyrics in it! Gold mine!
I can't wait to take the kids to see CATS in person. Even though cats have nine lives, the run can't last forever. This could be their last chance to see the breathtaking set or have a cast member walk right by them! I'm starting to get all teary-eyed thinking about it, and it's not my allergy to cats that's causing it. I'm remembering when my parents bought me the CATS sweatshirt at intermission at the Winter Garden Theatre. Joy! Getting tickets with my equally-enamored friends for the West End production. Bliss! My enthusiasm is on par with the excitement Scott felt about seeing David Copperfield a few years ago. But Scott, even "the greatest magicians have something to learn...from Mister Mistoffelees' conjuring turns!"

Get used to it. I might be spouting CATS lyrics like a Tourette's sufferer for awhile. And it might be contagious.

10 comments:

Michelle said...

See there is a way for people allergic to cat to enjoy them! Hope you make lots of good memories!

Maria said...

I am so excited for you and your family to see the production next week!

Nora Mair said...

Mumbo Jerry and Rumpleteaser--another cats lover here. I never did see the show but I love the music.

Anonymous said...

I saw Cats in London several years ago and have to confess that I am one of those who walked away a bit confused. But the music was wonderful!!

SSWS said...

you are totally cracking me up with this! Do you think I can still get tickets??? what am I thinking, depriving my kids of TS Eliot? I just love these trips down memory lane...I forgotten about writing down all the lyrics...wow, could I handle Cats and My Fair Lady within a 2 week span? I'll call Art Tix tomorrow. Oh, and love Michelle's "memories" joke.

Jennie said...

Lexie will be so jealous. She has been talking about Cats all week. I'll have to look in to it. Thanks for the reminder.

Lisa and Tate said...

I am a total LOSER... I have never seen CATS. Will try to score some tickets for the performance.

Taylor Family said...

I haven't ever seen Cats probaly because Scott said it wasn't his favorite. Now I want to see it. I will have to look and see if I can get tickets. Do you think Cade would like it?

love.boxes said...

You are so funny Circ... I'm glad Golda got out of trouble. I'm going to have to live vicariously through you... Tell me everything when you've seen it (and I want to know what the kids think).. I think I'd have a nervous breakdown with people size CATS running around.. my imagination is so keen I might suffocate! Did you know that I'm a cat for Halloween almost every year... Nothing could be scarier! :) Have a GRAND time!

Michelle said...

I'm only a closet Cats fan, I will laugh along with all the "Cats sucks" jokes, but secretly, I really like it (who am I kidding I'm quite passionate about any musical, we listen to that "all showtunes" channel at our house).

Jake is not such a closet fan, he's made me go the the library 4 times to see if the other closet Cats fan has finally returned the video.

Oh, and to Jake's favorite cat he was trying to describe while in your car listening to Cats, the "black and white one that is the best cat". It's not Mr. Mistopheles or Macavity as I predicted but it's Munkustrap. He just sings quite a few of the songs but he isn't actually "in" any of them so I forgot about him.

Thaks for letting Jake tag along to the show, he's quite excited.