Sunday, September 21, 2008

Memory






Few things in life are as good the second time around. We tend to romanticize our memories, so to relive them falls short of our expectations. Well, Mister Mistoffelees was working his magic tonight, because CATS was every bit as magical as ever, only this time I got to share it with some pretty amazing kids! Chuckling, I noticed some things that dated CATS a little bit, like the fact that the cats' costumes all included leg warmers. Holy 1983! We got there in plenty of time because, well, I just couldn't wait any longer. We had time to hang out around the stage door, study the CATS poster intently and get treats to share in the lobby as we watched the theatregoers filter in.

All the littles got red velvet cushions to sit on and - get this! - there was nobody in front of us! The nice man at Arttix had put us on the fifth row, so we were right in the action. Even before the first note, cast members were slinking right by us, looking straight into Araceli's eyes. It was pure delight all the way around. At intermission, Ruby was panicked that it might be over. No, we still had time for a second round of treats, then back to our seats to hear the familiar "Memory," among other favorites. Unexpectedly, Grizzabella brought me to tears, just like in the eighties, when she hit that "Touch me! It's so easy to leave me!..." At the end of the production, the crowd jumped to their feet, screaming like their team had just won the world series. I swear, the kids were glowing with excitement. Golda and Ruby, especially, looked at me like, "I get it, Mom! I love it too, now!" Araceli just couldn't stop laughing. Freestone said, "I think everything is Jellicle," and Jake was already practicing the cat moves, headed directly for the stage.

On the way to the car, I felt like I was on the set of Fame, watching the kids dance their way down the street, singing. At that moment, I don't think there was a kid among us that didn't secretly wish to be on Broadway one day. That's the magic of the theatre.

10 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm glad you guys had such a good time. We missed you though. Dopp parties just aren't the same with out you. No offense Scott. :) If we can't have you all, we'll take S and Xanth.

Queen Elizabeth said...

Looks like a fabulous experience. The looks on your beautiful children's faces are PRICELESS!!!

Michelle said...

Okay, tears in my eyes again! It sounds like such a wonderful night! You are the best for making these great memories with your kids and then sharing them with us!

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

As I said in my post, Jake was being a Jellicle cat until he curls up and went to sleep. Thanks for letting him tag along, he had so much fun!!!

Taylor Family said...

I love how descriptive your blog is. It made me want to be there. I am glad you had so much fun. Let me know if you go to any more shows and maybe we will tag along.

Sher said...

Man, I'm so jealous. I have never actually seen Cats live. Just love the music!
p.s. My little 1/8th size violin needs fixin'. It needs new strings, and either the bow is in dire need of some serious rosin, or need a re-hair.
My mom said you've fixed it for her before. She said she's going to call you.
Anyway, just thought I'd give you a heads up, you might see me in the near future!
Thanks,
Sher

Anonymous said...

So wonderful that you're children got to share CATS with you...and that they loved it as well:)

SSWS said...

Circ,, I love your blog. I feel like I was there with you! I would have loved to see Araceli staring back with her "care bear" eyelashes. Sounds like a good weekend with fine art and broadway. I love your descriptions. ssws

love.boxes said...

I'm so glad that it was fabulous.. but you know I think those leg warmers are making a comeback :) Maybe it's the CATS!