Wednesday, September 24, 2008

True Gem


I've been thinking about the Christmas song, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, because it wishes a merry Christmas to "kids from one to ninety-two." Nana Ruby turned ninety-two today, so technically, she won't qualify for the song next year! That's quite an accomplishment, aging out of Merry Christmas! The thing I love about Nana is how, every decade or so, she comes right out and says she doesn't like something. Back in 1979, we were listening to a record of whales "singing." I thought it was cool, but Nana laughingly declared it to be "dumb." Then, circa 1992, I was sitting next to Nana at the opera when she leaned over and whispered, "This is so STUPID!" I'm still laughing about that one. Maybe she was right!
Today when I asked Nana what one of my cousins is majoring in, she replied, "Oh, world domination or something."
And those are the three things Nana has said in her life, that I know of, that weren't 100% positive and uplifting. But they were still funny! I love Nana, the peaceful and orderly feeling she cultivates in her home, her love and talent for music, how she loves each of us completely. Nana prays for every one of her progeny by name every night, and there are almost 100 of us, including in-laws. One day, soon after we brought Xanthe home, I was in Nana's bedroom and saw on her nightstand a little scrap of paper that said one word: "Xanthe." It's a crazy name and she wanted to remember it just right for her prayers. Knowing that I have a grandmother who prays for my family and me by name every night makes me feel safe and loved, and inspires me to be as good as Nana thinks I am...or knows I could be. If she thinks any of us are less than perfect, she never lets on. She always says, "You're my favorite...besides the others!" I'm Nana's favorite! Besides the others!...

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Gosh that was sweet! And further proof of what my mother (and you know this is high praise) feels is such a gift that "you should quit blogging and write a book". I don't think you should quit blogging but I do love your writing!

Lisa and Tate said...

How wonderful to have a Nana who is such a great example to you. And funny! I havebeen without any grandparents for 20+ years now. Oh how I wish I could still have a relationship with my mother's mother (died when I was 16).

The homestead said...

I am her favorite. (besides all the others). Well done with your tribute to a beautiful person.

Taylor Family said...

I love your grandma too. She is always so sweet when I see her. Tell her happy birthday from us.

Emily said...

She is a gem, you guys are lucky to
have such a wonderful Grandma...
She instantly made me feel like she
was my Grandma too!

Paige said...

She's gorgeous. We can only hope that we all age out of Christmas.

love.boxes said...

For a grandmother like that... we should change the Christmas song.