Tuesday, September 9, 2008

On FIRE!





We have a new creature living at our house. We call her The Spicy Beast. Once she was a cute little baby. Now she's a loud, brash, demanding preschooler. I'm not saying she was ever placid. She's always been a Spicy Girl. But her status has been upgraded to Spicy BEAST since she started school. Xanthe is taking this whole "big girl" thing to the extreme. I'm not even allowed to go all the way to the door when I drop her off. Yesterday I told Xanthe's friend, "I'm going to be at preschool tomorrow!"
Xanthe scowled at me, folded her arms and said, "No you not! You too OLD!"
The funniest part, and I don't know if you can relate to this, is that she sounded exactly like the steroetypical "Scornful First Generation Asian-American Mom" out of a movie. "No you not! You too old!" Think Joy Luck Club. She even looked the part in her retro dress. I could almost picture a cup of green tea in her hand, or a mahjong tile. She is SO FUNNY!

The day starts with the Spicy Beast standing groggily at the top of the stairs, her hair wild and crazy, her eyes daring anyone to cross her. When I see her, I can hear the Psycho theme music in my head. Her daily activities include screaming "Maaaaaaaaama! Maaaaaama!" anytime one of the other kids talks to me, sitting on my lap whining "My turn! I pwactice! NOW!!!!" whenever I help someone else practice, demanding that I constantly hand her random items while I'm driving, and most recently, pushing her drink off the edge of the kitchen counter. She was surprised and pleased when the cup shattered on the floor.

I'm delighted Xanthe is asserting herself instead of developing her passive-aggressive tendencies. This is a positive step, and an adorable one. I love my little Spicy Beast. That doesn't mean, however, that we don't all breathe a sigh of relief when she falls asleep in her macaroni! Terrorizing the neighborhood is hard work!

9 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

I was thinking maybe you had been at Eliza's school, which actually had to be evacuated because of an electrical fire today!
Eliza, too, demands I hand her anything her heart desires while I am driving. I usually tell her I don't have go-go-gadget arms and she'll have to wait until the next stop light or our destination. It's hard work being a servant to a toddler!

Tiffany

Erin said...

Oh Xanthe--- you are cracking me up! Like my boys say "It's Libby's world, we just live in it"--- I won't tell Libby that it is really "Xanthe's World"!

Michelle said...

I can absolutely hear her in Joy luck club! Well, at least she is terrorizing the neighborhood with cute hair!

Kim said...

To funny! Sounds like many of us can relate to this. The demands of a three year old - what's a mom to do?

Hannah has all of us pretty much wrapped right around her tiny little finger :-)

No, I don't live in UT. I came in through Erin's blog. I'm way east in the mitten state.

Kittrell Family said...

I was thinking my kids were the only ones that ate Mac and Cheese.

Nice looking blog. Scott gave me the address.

Regards

Joel.

Sher said...

This sounds like a very typical day at our house too.
Maybe Xanthe and Peter should be buddies, and they can terrorize the town together!

Jennie said...

So cute. I know what you mean, but it is so hard to imagine. X has always been so nice and quiet. This new trend is so hard to imagine. I love that she is loving pre-school. What a great opportunity to get out there and be her own person. It sounds like she is doing just that.

Taylor Family said...

THat is so funny. I think this preschool thing is going to Cade and Xanthe's head. We are in for some serious trouble when we get them in high school.

love.boxes said...

c did this at 3. It was a scary year.