Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Wac-a-Mole

I thrive on having a big, long list of things to do and neatly checking them off as I go. The problem is, the list won't hold still. The things on my list, instead of standing there in an orderly single-file line, act more like they're in a crack-enhanced game of Wac-a-Mole. No sooner do I start one task than another one pops up. I just try to beat down as many of those little moles as I can. Here's a sample from today's list: Mission accomplished: semi-healthy after-school snack (whole-grain waffle, blueberries and Breyer's Vanilla) consumed by everyone. (Even Jakey...sans blueberries, of course!)
Mission in progress: Apricot nectar, aka "runny nose medicine," bought at Bowman's case lot sale, brought in the house, waiting to be taken to the storage room. So far, no takers on making 10 trips to the basement and risking a broken toe in the process. You know you're going to drop one of those suckers.
Mission overaccomplished: I cannot be trusted to broil things while helping kids with homework, practicing and "getting another drink." Why do I think I can? My attention span didn't even last long enough to set the timer after I popped the bread in the oven.

I'll tell you one thing, I'm just thankful for the list. I know something is wrong with me because downtime makes me crazy unless I'm sitting right next to a calming body of water. For today, like every day, I'll roll my unfinished tasks over to tomorrow, just like phone minutes. There are only three things that have to be finished every day, no rollovers: getting to lessons on time, homework and practicing. The rest is just Wac-a-Mole. You can't win those carnival games, you know. But it's fun to try!

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Wac-a-mole is the perfect analogy for any mom's life! I think you do it very well! And you know you are blogger when you take a picture of burnt bread!

Queen Elizabeth said...

Fabulous analogy... as always!

SSWS said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one rolling over tasks from day to day. I love your burnt bread photo...and that waffle looks good. I'll drop by and help you carry the nectar downstairs!

love.boxes said...

I'm exhausted just reading this. Go Circ!

Lisa and Tate said...

I have lists that I cannot find so I make new lists.... including organizing the lists into one workable list. It never seems to get better....

Listlessly Lisa

Renee said...

I would carry the cans downstairs for you...I am on a roll, definitely won at Wac-a-mole this week.

Love the analogy!

Taylor Family said...

Does that really work for runny noses? I love case lot sales. I like to look at my pantry all full of food. I love it even more when it is food I have canned. I love this time of year.

Sarah Barber-Bazail said...

I was just thinking tonight that life with kids is like a circus! What excitement trying to learn to juggle!

Circe said...

Sarah - I like the juggling analogy...I've thought that having more than one kid is just like adding balls to the mix. Your neck is already kinked from looking up, your arms are already tired. It's just a matter of learning how to manage that extra ball!

Erin said...

Wac-a-mole! Funny. And true!