Sunday, September 7, 2008

Pele

When I was a kid, our next-door neighbors, the Woodcocks, had a dog named Pele. He was a yellow lab, and he was always underfoot, chasing tennis balls, slobbering on us, giving us rides on his back. The Woodcock kids adored Pele. He was the kind of dog who would go to soccer games - he was named after one of the greats, after all - and run along the sidelines.

One day, with no warning at all, Pele was suddenly a good four inches shorter and had slightly darker fur on his back. He had gained a little weight, too. The Woodcocks swore it was the same dog, and their kids never seemed to notice that Pele had lost quite a bit of tennis-ball-catching skill. They loved him all the same.

I don't know what made me think of that. Hey, did I tell you I found Max Friday while the kids were at school? Seriously. I did.

10 comments:

Jennie said...

No, I'm not stocking you. We're just on at the same time. :) You found him. Where the heck was he? Or, was this a Pele switch-a-roo?

Circe said...

OK, I admit it I got to stop short of the switch-a-roo when I saw Max's fur sticking out under the piano in the basement. I thought for sure he was dead, so I poked him and he ran away. I bribed him with celery, and he's safely back in his cage. Dodged a bullet and a trip to Teacer's Pets! And for the record, it was ME who accidentally let him out, so Joshie and Henry are off the hook this time!

Jennie said...

oops, I meant stalking you. :) I'm sure your stocks are fine. It's late. I'm going to bed

Eliza2006 said...

Very funny! I'm glad he is safe and sound!

Tiffany

Lisa and Tate said...

HAHHHH... not a switch-a-roo??? I guess celery to a guinea pig is like chocolate to me. I would follow anywhere if this was waved under my nose.

Elisa said...

I had the coolest fish. It sat on my counter and would get all freaky-deeky when i would do the dishes. My husband decided we should "blend our families" and put it in with his nasty fish. They ate my fish.

He tried to pull a fast one by putting a new fish in my tank on the counter... but I could totally tell it wasn't my fish. It didn't spit at me anymore.

That comment was totally random. Sorry. Glad you found Max. And he didn't die under your piano, because that would be kindof gross.

Michelle said...

Of course you did! Because you are the best mom ever! And motherboard is right, how awful would that have been if you hadn't found him under the piano until later!

love.boxes said...

I can't believe it! I thought he was gone forever! Yeah!

Marilyn said...

Circe, David here.
I was riding home the other day and all of a sudden started humming a Beatles song. Immediately, memories of hanging out with you, Sara, and Brooke came back. What great times! I still brag to everyone here about how good skiing at Snowbasin is.
Hope to see you at Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on "finding" Max! Good luck also to Golda with Clara call backs and to Ruby! A very talented family:)