Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ruby Ruby Ruby Rubyyyyyyyyyyyyy!




I can't even remember a time when we weren't celebrating Ruby's 11th birthday. January is the longest month of the year, and Ruby's birthday is practically the only gig in town, so we just keep celebrating. The 26th, Ruby's real birthday, I made her coddled eggs for breakfast. She shared with Freestone, her favorite brother (besides Ptolemy).

For lunch, Scott took Ruby to B.C. Chicken for souvlaki. Yum! Birthdays have to be all about the food. Coco and Bill brought presents that night, just before Ruby officially turned eleven...during her jazz class! We always remember that she was born at 9:10 PM Pacific Standard Time, because I said, "I'll watch Friends, then I'll push." She was obviously born before Gritman Medical Center had TiVo. Ten minutes after Friends ended, Ruby was born!

We anticipated the annual dinner at Olive Garden all week, but when Friday came, Scott suggested a change of pace. Ruby and I were already in Salt Lake for guitar, and Scott was going in for the Jazz game, so we met at Bucco de Beppi. Cute place, very kitch-y, perfect for an 11th birthday photo-op, but no camera. We would have needed a wide-angle lens for the giant tiramisu they brought for dessert. Everything there is family style, served for 2 to 3 people. The tiramisu was in a huge bowl with ridiculously large spoons. And it was gooooood! Ptolemy, who can't choke down a single bite of rice cereal, gobbled up the mascarpone like an Italian bambino!

For one last birthday celebration, we got together with the Bazails. Each kid got a "birthday" gift bag and balloon. The bags were filled with items representing all the holidays and events of the coming year. Sarah, Roland, Tricia and the boys are moving back to Miami. We're sad to see them go. This last get-together at their beautiful home in Salt Lake had to count for the rest of the year and beyond, even though they'll visit often. Right, guys?!

With tomorrow being February 1st, we'll have to say good-bye to the Month of Ruby. She's worth celebrating, but even the most worthy child has to make room in the spotlight for the next big thing. Chinese New Year and Valentines Day are waiting in the wings!

10 comments:

Jennie said...

Happy Birthday once again Rubes! I'm so glad you had a fun celebration. I agree.... it is all about the food!

Michelle said...

Circe!!!! I found your blog through the tangled web that is this blogging world (that I pretend to not be a part of, but obviously am). I just spend the past hour of reading your fabulous posts the same way I do M&M's - "Just one more then I'll stop. Okay THIS is the last one, why not just one more?" You are delightful! I have always thought you were such neat woman and now I'm even more in awe of the great family you and Scott have.

And I saw your cute babe in that little walker we swapped! What a small world we live in. I hereby declare that we should be friends (the real kind in addition to the blogging kind...). Take care!

Jennifer said...

Having seen her in action, I think Ruby is an exceptionally gentle, compassionate young woman. Happy birthday to one of the best!

Emily said...

Ruby never stops surprising me with her humor, kindness, interests and talents. I am so glad I have her as an example to my kids. Happy Birthday Ruby, we love you!

C and MC said...

I wish I would have know it was her b-day on the 26th, we could have totally embarrassed her during jazz by singing to her or dancing to all birthday songs.

laurel said...

Happy happy b-day Ruby! Looks like you had a seriously great time. I think I would like to be your sister. B-day's at your house seem much more fun!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday to Ruby. You are really growing up and you are still incredibly pretty. Your family knows how to celebrate!

The Brown Family said...

We really do need to get together more often...Ruby, you are exactly the same age as my Pearl- two precious gems!!

I'm glad that you had such a great birthday month :)

Love
Kim Brown

Michelle said...

Ruby is so worth celebrating all month!

love.boxes said...

Happy Birthday Ruby!!