Sunday, June 16, 2013

Scott in the Wings


 After Scott attended the ballet recital the first night, he didn't say it was a drag to sit through two hours of other kids' dances (maybe because our kids and Esmae were in nine of the dances!).  He just acted like he loved every minute of it, even sending me a text the minute it ended, "That was great!" The next day, I was at staging when I got another text:  "I want to see the girls dance again.  I want to see the Seagull dance.  When can I?"  We decided he could see the recital again Saturday.  In the meantime, as I watched and worked with my dancers all week, I received numerous pictures of the kids at home with dad, who were out and about, having fun, eating ice cream, going to festivals and restaurants and posing for Daddy's pictures.
He also sent this series of text, as well as pictures of Tizzy after she lost control of her toy car on a hill and crashed into a tree, scraping her face.  So it wasn't all champagne and roses.  But this week wasn't unusual, either, in terms if the time Scott spends with his kids.  Even if I hadn't been busy all week, Scott would have had the kids at Dylan's for half-price shakes after 8.  He wouldn't have let them miss the Arts and Music festival in the park. He still would have taken them to movies and shopping, he still would have taken the time to make them clean up the house and yard and finish the chores Mom gave them.

Saturday night came and Coco offered to watch the babies while Scott slipped backstage to see what I get to see.  He loved it.  He got to watch Ari and Freestone chaperone their little "Boots" dancers onto and off of the stage.  He got to see me interact with my students.  And most importantly, he go to see Golda and Ruby prepare for Seagulls, stand with their friends in the wings at the ready, go on and pour their hearts out, and come off to see their dad there with tears in his eyes.
Scott is always in the wings metaphorically, doing all the work to make sure his children shine.  This time, he really got to be in the wings, seeing the full measure of what he makes possible.  Someday he'll be standing in the wings as his children prepare for graduations, weddings, baby blesssings.  Thank heavens it's just a ballet recital for now.  I don't think Scott is ready to let any of his babies go off into the world quite yet.

4 comments:

Taylor Family said...

Scott is the best! He is a great Dad and brother. Have a great fathers Day we love you.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! Scott is great! and always there for them!..what beautiful thoughts and pictures, and I am not sure he is ready to let go of his little ones yet either! He reminds me of my dad, and I think Scott will be like this, standing in the middle of the road as I drove off in a car leaving my dad waving goodbye with tears in his eyes and joy in his heart on my wedding day, Scott will be right there on every occasion as my dad was and as yours is, waving, beaming, tears in their eyes, and a heart bursting with pride. Happy Father's Day Scott!, Felshaw, Joshua and Big Bill. You are the best!. xo Tricia..these are great pics!
(I didn't get to post at Mother's Day because being laid up with my leg!), but just to let you know, you are the very same kind of mom! as Scott is a dad..you are great both of you. xo

michelle said...

You made me cry AGAIN! Such a good post!

Jennie said...

Once again, great pictures. The last line was a killer. He is going to have to get ready. You have two little birds flying the nest next week. :) Love you guys. Hope you had a fantastic Father's Day.