Monday, June 17, 2013

Yikes!!

 Skyping with our friends in Lille!
As Golda and Ruby get more and more ready to go on the inaugural leg of Preposterous Plan 2013, I get less and less ready!  I'm excited, though, with the planning and preparations.  I bought some hostess gifts today, which I am pleased with.

Bringing chocolate to France seems silly, but I am sending some local artisan chocolate, as well as some specialty sea salts.  Some is Hawaiian and some is Himalayan, for my friend Genevieve, who lived in Nepal for a time.  She is the woman Golda and Ruby are staying with in Lyon.  Our friends in Italy are Utah Jazz fans.  I am still planning to buy some of those colorful, chocolate-covered sunflower seeds.  Again, bringing sunflower seeds to Spain is like the proverbial carrying of coal to Newcastle, so we might have to give those to our French friends.  In any case, there are all token gifts, and I'm sure the families will be fine with whatever we offer.

We have Euros, packed bags, Visa cards, tiny containers of essentials, google phone numbers...what am I forgetting?  My sanity?

I have to think of it as if I were the hostess.  If I had a friend sending her children to me, I would be ready, everything would be taken care of, and her children would have a wonderful time with our family.  I'm sure it's the same for the families waiting for Golda and Ruby!  I won't think about the time I arrived in Spain and called my friend Angel when he didn't show up at the airport to pick me up.  He said, "Oh.  You're here?  I thought it was tomorrow."  Not to worry.  That was in the days before cell phones and I was STILL just fine.  Just spent an extra hour at the Madrid airport. :)

We skyped with the Laviessiere family today and they are prepared and excited to arrive at the airport in Paris on the correct day at the correct time.  But first...New York with Dad!!

4 comments:

Jennie said...

You guys!!!! I can't believe it is here! We are so excited for you. I thought I would come and see you sometime Wed. before you left. But then, I realized I leave Wed. too for KY with Jackson. It looks like all the Dopps will be jet setting this week. Although, I hardly equate KY to Europe. Have the best time, be safe, know we love you, and we can't wait to hear every detail - so take notes. You know I will ask you an obnoxious amount of questions, so be ready! :) Hugs XO

sws said...

I'm already missing them and they haven't left! Are you sure that we aren't invited? Bon Voyage Dopp girls! We will miss you but know you will be having a wonderful time.

Michelle said...

I can't believe this is happening! Will they have a phone they can instagram with? Would love to follow them! So exciting!

Anonymous said...

Bon Voyage to Golda and Ruby!..what an adventure and a chance of a lifetime, even if it is 2013, not all girls or boys get to go to Europe on their own to visit friends and see the sights w/o parents. I am so thrilled for you both and excited to hear all about it. Hopefully, you will be able to keep us posted either by your mom or instagram!..but if not can't wait to hear about when you are back home safe and sound. God Bless, be safe, enjoy every minute, it will all go too fast. I am happy for you. Always be aware of your surroundings!...in my prayers..xo Love Tricia