Friday, June 14, 2013

Their Whole Lives

I was driving a few weeks ago and stopped to talk to a neighbor.  I said, "I'm just going to pick up some of my girls from ballet."  The neighbor came back with, "Yep, you're going to pick up your daughters from something they'll never use again in their whole lives."  Do you ever wish you had a biting comeback for moments like this?  Me too.  Instead I said, "Yeah."

It's fine that I was speechless.  My dad taught me never to argue with a fact.  Since there are no facts here, only opinions, I will amend that advice to, "Never argue with someone who is acting like a doodly poop."  And I will let my photos speak for me...
Discipline 
(these are the Level Two classes I teach)
Order
Expression
Humor...Ruby's dance clothes hanging out the window to dry on the way to class.
The realization of goals.  Ruby suffered through knee pain and overcame surgery, one class at a time, five times a week, building her strength until she was able to leap again.  This is her last class before recital.  
She did it!
Time to bond.  Thursdays, I dropped off Ari and Emma at 4:50, then waited with Xanthe for Golda to get out at 5:05.  Then we dropped Xanthe off at her studio.  Xanthe and I had some good little talks during our 15 minutes.  That's where we talked about how she found her old glasses and they really do help her see!
Mothers and daughters.  Ari and I both have class Saturday morning.  During our 15 minutes between when we open the studio and when my class starts, we talk.  We took this picture to be goofy.  It is a replica of a picture I treasure from 1987 of my friend Sarah Scheuller and I as the Mad Hatter and March Hare in the recital.  Speaking of which, might I mention how ballet class fosters lifelong friendships.
Learning from great teachers.  Clytie has been a mentor to me since the time
I was four years old.  She is a mentor and an example to my children, as are
HER children and grandchildren who teach us.  Perhaps the most important aspect of any
discipline is the influence of the teacher.  Scott and I are fortunate not to have to raise our
daughters without the influence of these great women.
Sisters getting along!
Grace and beauty.  Look at these beautiful young women.  These are the mothers of the future.
I am thankful they will have something to teach their children about appreciating beauty.

Xanthe loves ballet because of her older sisters.  Xanthe was staging her dance and she did a little tendu.  Golda, standing beside me in the wings, whispered to me nervously, "Point!  Point!"  Xanthe's little foot stretched into a point and Golda gave a sigh of relief.  "She did it," Golda said.  Ballet gives them a concrete   venue for the love they have for each other, and a time and place to express it.
The Seagull dance has become a classic.  It is so achingly beautiful, more so this year because Golda and Ruby were in it last year, and now they are older.  It is poignant to mark the progression.  I think of them together each Wednesday night, learning this dance and others with their dear friends and their incredible teacher, Sarah, and my heart melts.  The girls, in all honesty, took a lot of heat for having to leave Young Women's activities a little bit early to make it to this class.  It was a sacrifice, but our family felt they could do both.  I would never give up an opportunity to have Sarah Robinette's influence in my children's lives.
Xanthe had so much help getting ready, she probably had ten layers of hairspray and ten layers of lipstick on.
Xanthe's first recital was a few days after we got home from China.  She rode on my hip during staging, a little 13-pound 13-month-old.  In four years of ballet, she has missed one class.  One.  She lives for it.  From her first days with our family, dance has given her a tangible example of how she belongs.  "My mom goes to ballet.  My sisters go to ballet.  I go to ballet.  I look different from them, but I am just like them."
 Seagulls, Golda and Ruby in the front.
 Cousins
 Best friends, just like their moms were.  Their moms walked to ballet after school four days a week.  They missed Days of Our Lives every day but Friday, but they gained a friendship though success and disaster, class after class, recital after recital.
 This is me.  This is so me.  This, I love.  And I'm sure I couldn't overstate the importance of all those seven-minute drives to the ballet studio and the confidences shared as a daughter and I sat together.  This is what my mom did for me.  This is what I do for my children.

Sideways girls


When people we love come to see us perform, we know they love us, they are proud of us, and they care about us.  And we love them too!

 Their mothers have been friends since kindergarten.
 Xanthe and Esmae love each other.  I have no doubt they knew each other in the pre-existence.  They remind me of that saying, "God made us cousins because our moms couldn't handle us as sisters."  :)  Coco can, though!
 These girls know each other pretty darn well!
 Ari, Ellison and Morgan.  
They don't have a lot of time to" play," but they do see each other
several times a week in modern, jazz and ballet.  Their friendships are solid.


Responsibility.  Ari has managed all three of her costumes and all the accessories, plus chaperoning two classes of little kids.  Her poor teacher Kenzie about had a heart attack when Ari was AWOL right before the Crocodile dance.  With 30 seconds to spare, Ari appeared from a costume change, calm and unruffled, ready to walk right onto the stage and be a crocodile.  She couldn't believe we were worried!








Something they'll never use again their whole lives?

I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have me in tears, just like Lisa did. You have such a way with words - and pictures. Your daughters looked so beautiful during recital. What great memories and lessons they will have forever. Hey and they might find themselves teaching at Clyties' one day, too. So, tell that neighbor to get busy working on something they won't ever use again in their life. Maybe they will change their mind about ballet. No, that is expecting too much.

J Call

Anonymous said...

That neighbor should be ashamed of themselves for their ignorance and stupidity. Dance is an amazing thing that requires discipline as well as talent. I don't use geometry and algebra daily but I learned it- and I am glad I did. Isn't the point of being on this earth to learn and grow? Wouldn't it be horrible if we all had to learn the "useful" stuff? How boring would that be? Why in the world would someone say that they will never use it again? They will use those skills every day of their life! If everyone had that attitude we would have no art, music, dance, writers, etc. You need to give that neighbor a piece of your mind!

Anonymous said...

I also wonder if that neighbor has the same thinking about soccer, baseball, football, etc. Ridiculous!

Catherine said...

Silly, silly woman! Don't you just wish you could share this post with her? People can be so blind. Sometimes I think is just their jealousy speaking so they want to make someone feel bad.

Your girls are beautiful inside and out because of what you've shared above. You're an awesome mom doing amazing things for your kids. Please don't let anyone else try to convince you otherwise. You rock!!

Jennifer said...

Grr. I'm trying to figure out which neighbor -- maybe you should tell me so I don't give a piece of my mind to EVERYONE in a three-mile radius. That comment was incredibly rude.

This is a beautiful post. I especially love how ballet has knitted Xanthe to you. I think it's such a wonderful thing that you have friendships that have lasted decades, and that daughters grow up becoming friends, too. Isn't it neat to think of Clytie's role in that?

By the way, all the best things happened on Fridays on DOOL. You didn't miss much!

Unknown said...

Oh boy, I really really loved this post. Your daughters may gain no more than what you described in your post from years of ballet class, and that would be enough....But my sister also took ballet from Clytie Adams ballet school. That sister grew up and got married and went to work. And then that sister enrolled in a little adult ballet class to keep up on the thing she loves so passionately. That sister ended up being offered a position as a dance teacher at that studio. And when that sister was laid off from her other job, this job at the dance studio saved her family's finances.

And that sister now works at the studio full time, choreographed 13 numbers in the last recital, and is now helping to support her family with this "useless little hobby". We won't mention the countless young ladies that she is influencing and mentoring. You never know. You just never know. But you will never ever know, if you never gave them the skills in the first place.

Amanda said...

What beautiful thoughts and beautiful pictures of beautiful girls and dancers! It was a wonderful recital!!! I loved watching all of your girls!

michelle said...

I am so steamed! I can't believe anyone could say such a thing! As the mother of someone who is no longer doing ballet an probably won't "use" it again in her life I am grateful for the lesson she learned. And what mother wouldn't want their child to be part of something so beautiful! After this post I just decided Brittany and I are absolutely comint to next year's recital!

Lexie said...

I love this!!!

Queen Elizabeth said...

Great post. Amazing pics. Keep up the good work. Wouldn't the world be a bore if everyone did exactly the same things and those "things" were only "useful later in life"? No thanks.

Jennie said...

Oh My! You're right. There aren't even words for that type of comment. Lex and I loved the recital last night. I have to say, it was my favorite to date (minus watching Lex dance too - of course). The girls were beautiful. All of those pics are priceless. I can't believe how much Charity looks like Tiff. You need to make a dance book out of all those pics. Stunning!

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Wow, what an incredibly rude thing to say! Don't you wish you could be prepared with a comeback? Like- "Oh yea, just like me and never using ballet or violin again! Don't be a Hater!" She must be jealous of how awesome you are. I'm sorry. Oh well- Those pictures were beautiful.

laurel said...

Beautiful pictures and beautiful girls. If I didn't do things I would never use again I wouldn't have taken math or science, and I certainly wouldn't have cleaned the window tracks in my mother's windows every flipping Saturday of my life while I lived at home. But then I would have been pretty bored, dumb, disrespectful and lazy.Yeah to you!

Shane and Kenzie said...

Ballet and has shaped me. It's because of dance that I am who I am. It's because of dance that I have the profession I have dreamt about for my entire life. Never will I take those long class hours for granted, because they taught me more about myself than I ever could have imagined.
(PS, I need to be more like Ari...relax Kenzie...relax)

Emily said...

I loved all your stage photos, I may have to borrow some. I would love to do a dancer paper cut series. So lucky to have nieces that would make perfect models .... Plus the girls had me in tears through the recital, so beautiful. You could never measure the worth of this time, it's invaluable.

The homestead said...

Sometimes people say things and I just smile and nod and get on with my life. I do what I want to do because it works for me and my family. Everyone is different and everyone does different things. So what? I love what dance has done for my girls. It is time and money well spent for MY family.

Cricket said...

I feel for your neighbor. They are unable to see the gifts of these moments that are given to us. My time with Clytie is one of the most wonderful moments of my childhood. The fact that Lily has the chance to have a mentor like Clytie and her dance family is a blessing. As a poofy child, I was teased and told I should feel badly about the way I looked. Never once did Clytie say anything to me about my weight. She would gently correct my arms, encourage me to keep my turtle houses where they should be and compliment me on my turn out. Little did she know my turn out was nice due to the fact I waddle. She made me feel as if I were beautiful, graceful and perfect just the way I was. She encouraged me to try harder to do my best. This is why I wanted Lily to take dance. I cannot tell you how thrilled I was to find she loved it.
I am tickled that she loves Golda and looks to her and wants to be like her. I so enjoyed the Seagulls and found myself lost in the dance I forgot that Lily was involved until the first cricket hopped on the stage.


Sonja said...

My daughter is 17 and has danced ballet since she was 3. She loves it. My grandmother, who is now 100 years old, makes those same kind of senseless comments about ballet. I don't get it - she should be wiser at her age. How come nobody ever says those things to boys who play football in high school but obviously aren't good enough to play in college?