Monday, June 13, 2016

Cutting Cables

There is no escape from the human condition, except death. I'm beginning to believe that there is no escape from the condition of self-doubt, except by the same remedy.

I'm bound to my life by strands and cables of responsibility, each composed of filaments of guilt and self-loathing, and accompanied by that pit in my stomach that gurgles, "You should do a better job."

Each night in bed, I have a ritual of visualizing each cable and mentally cutting them to release the tension. I'll say, "There are still dishes, but I don't have to do any more of them until tomorrow. Cut."
"Ptolemy didn't practice violin, but today is over. It's too late. Cut."
"I never called the doctor. Cut."
"Still haven't found a piece to play at Golda's farewell. Cut."
"I forgot all about merit badge class. I'm the worst. I'm cutting that cable, though, because I can't repair it."

Somehow, the next day, all those cables have repaired *themselves*, like the hydra that grew two heads for every one that was cut off.  Thus, at any given time, from the moment I wake up until I fall asleep mentally cutting cables, I can name a dozen things that I feel bad about. My weight. My outfit. My hair. Not being nicer. Not being stricter. Not paying more attention to everyone. The house. Always the house. There isn't one second of my life that I don't feel the tension of the "housekeeping" cable, pulling me down, weighing on me because the house isn't clean.

Every time I get the kitchen clean again, a cable in my mind reverberates with, "But the basement is still a mess, and your closet is a disgrace, Fatso. I can't believe you never exercise. And by the way, are you ever planning on folding the laundry?"

Those cables are heavy, tight, and plentiful. They multiply, those Hydra heads, until I really feel like I'm a terrible person. I mean, I can't even sweep out the garage. I'll never be good enough. I'll never remember everything. I'll never even have shoes on all the kids at the same time. That's how awful I am.

And then comes the silver gilding on the cables: the idea that everyone else can manage just fine. Other people have clean garages. Other people's kids have shoes, and other moms organize their closets with the greatest of ease. Scott could do all of this, if he wasn't busy being a superstar at work while I spin my wheels, never getting ahead. You wouldn't even believe the lengths I went to last week to get my shampoo and conditioner to stay in the same place. And I failed.

I know, I know, I'm raising 7 kids, there's a lot going on, I'm doing the best I can, blah blah blah. But what I'd really love is to be able to use those cables to build something structurally sound and useful. I just don't know how. I'll add it to my list of things that I'm not good at.


6 comments:

Jennie said...

Interesting, because from the outside looking in, you're killing the whole motherhood, volunteer, family thing, etc. (Killing - in a good way :)

We are each our worst critic. We are all doing far better than we think we are. xoxo

Jennifer said...

Oh, Circe. I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I love you and think you're pretty amazing.

Catherine said...

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry you're feeling this way! That's the evil one trying to bring you down. Don't let him!!! For each negative cable try replacing it with a positive. There are dirty dishes in the sink because you took the time to prepare food for your family. It may be Kraft Dinner or hot dogs, but it was nourishment for their bodies. You may not have had time to practive violin, but you have given your child the gift of music, a gift many, many, many children will never have.

I know it's hard and I can completely relate to where you are but I've had to change my thought pattern to what really maters in the end. Will Hannah remember that the house was tidy? NO! Will she remember that I took 10 minutes to play a game with her? YES! At the end of the day I sometimes ask her what her favourite part of the day was and never once has she said it was walking into the house and seeing it a bit tidier (ours is NEVER all tidied) or that she appreciated getting into a bed with clean sheets. She says her favourite things were the times we were together, sometimes even doing things like groceries or tidying the playroom a bit. Time together is what she longs for and that is a gift you give your children day after day after day.

You are an AMAZING MOM who loves her children to the core! Don't let those cables weigh you down - chop them at the root and tell them they're not welcome in your loving home!!!

(Easier said than done I know but it's something I'm working on every single day too. Just ask the pile of clothes on the floor of my room that I can't put away because there's no room in the closet...)

Love you!! (((hugs)) xo

Unknown said...

I gave a relief society lesson just this last Sunday about attaining true greatness. Forty women sat in that room and wept together about how we are stretched so thin and how we end each night so exhausted and at the same time feeling like we didn't get done the things that were truly needful. I am telling you that what you are experiencing is the universal struggle of all women. The reason I was giving this lesson, I'm sure, is because my self-loathing has reached an all time zenith recently. As I battle this every day, I try to remember two things.

"It is precisely because the daughters of Zion are so uncommon that the adversary will not leave them alone." Neal A. Maxwell

"Be peaceful. Believe in God and yourself. You are doing better than you think you are." Jeffrey R. Holland

Okay, three things. Women need each other. We need to weep in Relief Society together. We need to vent to one another over lunch. We need to work through our struggles together. We need to buoy each other up. We need to heal one another. You're not alone. We all struggle with the same thing. But you are doing better than you think you are!

michelle said...

Well you have already heard me rant today. I'm so right there with you! This mom thing is so hard! That is why I am so grateful we all have each other because I sure as heck am not making it on my own! And I agree, you are killing it!

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Holy cow! You're normal! I feel like this all the time. You put it into words perfectly. The funny thing is sometimes I think, "If I could just be more like Circe, I would be more organized, my house would be cleaner, my garage would be clean, I would be on time, I wouldn't be so behind on my blog, I would be helping the refugees, etc. Circe's practically perfect! Well, I guess we all have our days. :) I still think your practically perfect.