Monday, June 20, 2016

Golda's Park City Birthday


Taylor, Lincoln Bazail, Xanthe and Ruby in PC. We went up for Golda's birthday, to celebrate a day early. 
Lincoln and Alex came to swim with us in PC.  The Bazails are here all summer, building a cabin.
It was one of Golda's last days, and the day before the Altieris arrived.  Summer was already slipping by too quickly, especially for Golda, who had so little time.  I'm happy she left on the first possible date after her availability date, but I had little twinges of regret that she would miss things.  Also, YOU try cramming a whole summer into 2 weeks!  She actually had 8 weeks between the time school ended and the time she left, and she wanted to make $3600 for the mission; half the cost.  She worked so dang hard.  She worked all kinds of jobs; mowing lawns, planting flowers, babysitting, nannying, and taking care of a woman who has Alzheimer's.  That last job, she absolutely loved.  A friend in our neighborhood, Laurrie Haueter, procured the job.  It was a gift, and pure inspiration, that Golda could do that.  The husband, Jay, was at the temple when Golda went through.  I still don't know if he came on purpose, of if he was just there, but it was sweet.  Golda idolizes him and his wife, Jo Marie.  She was fortunate to have that job, and to be in their home with such a special spirit about it.  I went over there on Golda's last day to take something to her.  I got to see Golda's interactions with Jo Marie, who is non-verbal and immobile.  Golda said a lovely prayer and I felt what a wonderful couple Jay and JoMarie are, and how strong.  They taught Golda so much.

As I said, Golda worked hard to earn the money she needed, and Scott and I were proud of her.  Some of the jobs weren't as rewarding as working for Jay.  Some of the jobs were terrible, I was relieved to see them come to an end.  The last two weeks, Scott and I told Golda to relax and not take any more jobs.  The only thing she did was the job for Jay and some watering for a neighbor.  I was glad she had the time to say good-bye to friends and to just hang out with us.

This expression on Golda's face says so much.  She was there, but not really there, she was so focused on her mission.  She wanted to go; she was ready.  Everything already seemed so superfluous, compared to where she was going, yet she was trying to cling to her time with us and her friends.  I'm sure it was a challenging balance.  Looking back, I can definitely say I'm glad she's out there on her mission now, instead of preparing to go.  Phew!

No comments: