Sunday, June 26, 2016

The Big Farewell

The morning of Golda's farewell, Jennie came over to slice rolls for me, and deliver her contribution to the treat table.  I really have the best friends and family, and Jennie is both!
Austin looking dapper, helping set up after church
Bazails, all the way from Miami
Rachel, Evyn and Lewis
Jillyn, Emily, Jess and Christine, more excellent friends
Abe and Josh
Celi's friends, Ryley and Faith
Tom Whitesides and Dad.  Tom and SuzAnn have been my parents' good friends my whole life.
Gary and his daughter Maggie, more life-long friends.  I was happy to see Gary; we have so many high school memories, and beyond.  The other day, I was reading my junior year yearbook.  That year, I was a class officer and my friend Nate Crowther was too.  He wrote, "I'll love you forever," or something, and I realized that, yeah, I still love that kid, and so many others that shared my growing up years.  There is something irreplaceable about old friends.
Tricia and SuzAnn
Jim, fresh out of his first Mormon sacrament meeting!
Micaela and Trajan
Kate, Kayla, Izzy and Lilah, three Neeleys and a Gus.  We were so happy the Neeley Dopps could come from Arizona.
Hmm...Freestone at Nana's.  That's random.
Aunt Loretta and Marlene, speaking of lifelong friends/family.
And Bruce and Uncle Ken
Golda's college friends
Cade, Free, Jake, Austin, Alex and Lincoln


Danny, Jessie and Frank, DeBry cousins
Amy Abel and Emily Major, dance friends
Clytie Su Robinette!  Her mom Sarah was there, too.  I love all the Adams women.
The Ericksons, our neighbors who lent us three tables.  Thanks, Jacy!
Emily, Ella, Amy and Emily
Mandy and Chris Zeschke.  Chris is our home teacher, and he is always there for us.
Tiffany Hess
and her beautiful Charity
Tom and SuzAnn
Grandma and Grandpa
The Harveys.  You know...Nephi's dad and my dad are best friends?  Neph went to Hong Kong on his misssion.  I think he's a bit jealous of Golda.  ;)
Leslie Weir and Beth and Ross Vellinga.  We have so many good neighbors.  Half of our street is not LDS, so I took them invitations to the farewell.  The Van Velkinburghs brought Golda flowers and a card, and the Comishes brought a card with a generous donation inside!  We truly live in the best place.  We are absolutely surrounded by goodness, love and generosity.
Aunt Nikki
Aunt Jenny
Phil and Nancy Hadley
Ann Gammon
The Hatch family...or part of.  Emma and Kyle.  Jennifer, why didn't we get you in this picture?!
The Altieris.  It was so neat to have them here with us on this special day.

My mom always looks exceptionally darling.  How does she do it?  I don't know.  I did not inherit this gene...or skill...or whatever it is that tells you that magenta shoes are a good idea.  She is beautiful!
I borrowed this banner from the Padgets.  Their daughter Ashley left for her mission to Puerto Rico a few weeks ago.  She is Golda's friend (besides Emily) who went to Rome with us.
Evyn and his dad, Lynn Conrad, arriving at the farewell in style.
Golda's talk in sacrament meeting was exceptional.  She has a pure and noble spirit, and she sees things so clearly.  Just as I don't have my mother's fashion sense, I don't have my daughter's spiritual steadfastness.  It is something I admire about Golda, and all of my kids.  You can read her talk on her blog at sisterdopp.blogspot.com.

The other spiritual part of the day was after the big party, when we went to the church for Golda to be set apart as a missionary.  President Mellor broke into Spanish for Victor and Sofia, explaining everything as he went. I was happy that my parents and Josh and Emily were able to be there, but I wish we had known ahead of time, so we could invite Scott's parents and any other family members Golda wanted.  It was very last-minute, and we just ran over to the church with the family that was there.  I think the stake leaders were just busy with Trek preparation.  Once they were in that room with us, they really took care to lend gravity to the situation.  The spirit was strong.

I was perturbed that Golda had to be set apart three days early, due to the leaders leaving for Pioneer Trek the next morning, but Golda wasn't bothered.  She was so ready.  The next few days, with Golda being an official missionary, were both unique and trying.  All said, I'm happy we had the chance to be with her after she was set apart.


1 comment:

Amber said...

Congratulations!! Golda seems awesome and wonderful. And you are awesome and wonderful and I look forward to hearing about the adventures. Although I am not looking forward to my oldest flying the coop-- it really does go much too quickly!