Friday, December 7, 2007

Chestnuts Roasting...





It's easy to feel the holiday spirit when there's a party to attend! Last night was one of the nights of the year that I look forward to the most, the Davis Girls holiday get-together. When I drove up to Tiff's colorfully lit home, I felt a twinge of sadness at not seeing Michelle's little VW. Michelle, we muddled through without you, but there was a Michelle-sized void, for sure! I feel so lucky to have my high school friends. Apparently, that is a rarity in the world at large. An added bonus is the fact that they are all such vibrant, exciting and funny women. The highlight of any holiday is the exquisitely wrapped Love Box I get from Tiffany. Here is a picture of my Christmas boxes since 2003, plus my snowmen. I keep them all in my entryway so I can show them off to anyone who glances in their direction. I can't tell you how honored I am to have this collection. I wish you could all spend a few hours studying the intricacies of Tiffany's art. You would fall in love, too!
Golda, Ruby and their cousin, Alexis, have been working on a musical revue of sorts, and tonight was the night! I honestly didn't know what to expect. The girls have been very excited about this, so Jennie and I took them seriously and gathered a few non-judgmental (just in case! :) family members for dinner and a show. What unfolded before us was truly impressive! Every number was choreographed to the music and executed to perfection. Scott was the music man behind the scenes, going off the cue list Lexie had typed up. The show came off surprisingly smoothly! I have to say, I was really impressed by our three little dancers! After dinner, there was more entertainment. The girls had written and rehearsed a play called "Holly Claus" with original music. I was genuinely impressed. I even loved the little kids and babies wandering unwittingly on and off the "stage." I think it was the best recital I've ever been to. It was just a lot of fun. It's great when something fun and unexpected just happens, and you are able to sit back and let it wash over you. I even got a little choked up at the end, watching the whole lot of them sing. This is the very thing that life is about. I once had chestnuts that were roasted over an open fire...tonight was better!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

You can't possibly have missed me as much as I missed you guys! You still had each other! But thank you so much for still trying to include me, it did make me a bit sad, but also really made my week! What wonderful creative kids you have! Made me think of the time we concocted a Halloween play I think that we put on over at Sarah's house. I am quite sure our finished product wasn't nearly as good!

SSWS said...

We had some good plays at my house....especially the one titled "Don't Laugh"....the title still makes me laugh. We missed you Michelle! Circe, I think you win for the funnest house on the block. Next time, we want to see the debute of an original Dopp show!

Circe said...

Plays at Sarah's house...I remember the hours and hours of rehearsals. I still have some of the programs. The one I remember best was a play where we painted the light bulbs red and green, and they started smoking during the play. I wonder what our parents were thinking! I guess it kept us off the steets! Sarah, you'll have to thank you parents for hosting so many performances! Circe

love.boxes said...

Isn't it fun when you start to see real creativity and unique talents in your children. I just love this age and getting to know who my daughter really is becoming. The show sounds wonderful! I'm glad you like your boxes. I forgot about the orange Christmas wreath. I like that one. :)