Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Thanks, Grandma Dopp!...and Opa DeBry





This afternoon, we had some visitors with a special delivery. Grandma Dopp and Aunt Nikki made this gingerbread train for us! The caboose was loaded with chocolate and candy canes, which were enjoyed right away. Thanks, Grandma and Nikki! You have so many talents!
Tonight is our Sinterklaas Eve. It's a Dutch holiday that we adopted, since my grandfather was Dutch. The real night is tomorrow, but Holland is 8 hours ahead, and I'm impatient. The kids put their wooden shoes by the fireplace. Sinterklaas just brings a few small things, since we're only a little bit Dutch. :) Actually, we never celebrated this holiday when I was little. The only Dutch traditions we had were doughnut-like things on New Year's Eve called olliebollen and constant, excessive amounts of chocolate. I miss Opa, and this little tradition is a good way to remember where he came from. Tonigh, I was telling Ari, Free and Xanthe about Opa's parents coming from the Netherlands on a ship. His mother was hiding in the hold, having joined the LDS church and run away from home. His father was playing the trumpet in the Queen's band on the deck. They met during the journey and ended up in Salt Lake. I never knew either of those great-grandparents, so I'm glad I have heard so many stories about them. They were stern, humble, hard workers, and endured many hardships.
As I was telling the stories to my kids, I was overwhelmed with sadness that Xanthe's birth family also had countless stories that are forever lost to her. It's heartbreaking that Xanthe comes from such a rich, ancient race, and her family has had to lose her. In a line that probably goes back hundreds of generations, this little baby girl is gone. There is no blame to be placed, and no easy answers. Now she has to claim our English/Dutch/German ancestry, and it is a little unfair. She lost a lot when she was 4 days old. But this family is hers. Because of the fact that she is sealed to us, my Opa is hers, and his stories are hers. Scott's grandparents are Xanthe's very own. Not just superficially, but for real, and forever. I'm so glad she is ours. I could NEVER have felt that our family was complete without our little spicy girl! She is a miracle.

5 comments:

Renee said...

Hello Circe!Loved the story,yet again!Love those cute dutch shoes,I would so love to have some like that.I have heard that there's a city here in Michigan called Holland that has all things dutch & have always wanted to go there but never got the chance so far.I love the idea of celebrating it even if a little.May I ask where Xanthe is from?My husband is Asian,but from a little father away from where she is from,I'm sure..he's from Bangladesh & I really love the Asian culture...the food,the colors,everything is so amazing!Maybe you could start celebrating some of her holidays if they are not against your religion or maybe you still could, but explian to her what you believe so that way she will know both things.I know she will grow up feeling different,but I really don't think she will have felt she has missed out on too much b/c she has a mom,dad, and siblings who love her very much & you all are her family,but maybe one day she will be able to find out the story of her ancestors one day....who knows what kind of people they were since asian history is so rich.I'm just glad she was adopted by a loving family & has love. :) That makes me happy. :)Renee

Circe said...

REnee is so nice! We do celebrate all the major Chinese holidays, especially Chinese New Year. It's so much fun to have this added side of our family. Xanthe's family, we know, was ethnically Han Chinese, and most likely Buddhist. So that's something we know. My Aunt Da is Buddhist, so I'm glad we have that connection in our family. Xanthe had a beautiful Buddhist blessing when we were in China. It seemed like a farewell to her past, and a last goodbye from her ancestors. Then, when we got home, she had her priesthood blessing from Scott. Can't have too many blessings! Xanthe is the only one in her genealogical line who has the Gospel, so just think what could happen in the eternities! I'm sure there is a plan...
circe

Renee said...

Hi again Circe!Well,this is so fun. (it does get addicting,so at times I have had to take a fasting from it..lol!)Anyways,that is so great that you do celebrate those holidays for her.I know she will truly feel blessed to have such a rich childhood knowing where she came from & then having this new family of yours living a different life than what she would have had in China.Before I got married,I basically lived only knowing 2 races of people & not exploring anything about other people,but when I met my husband it was the greatest thing to see this whole new world opened up to me that had always existed & it's so beautiful b/c the people are all different...it sure is boring if we are all the same.:)The girls & I actually celebrated chinese new year once since we have a store down the road that sells a few chinese foods,so we tried some new candy,etc.The girls loved it.You know,I haven't visited any Amish stores,I keep telling my husband I want to, but you know what,my husband does when he drives up to visit us b/c there's an Amish city in Ohio just off the highway.My husband did say there are some amish cities in Michigan,one that he's been to was Romeo.I would love to live a simple life like they do,except I couldn't handle the no electricty part since it's freezing here. :)Anyways,I just enjoy reading your posts everyday,since you are always so happy about your life and it shows,so thanks for sharing!Renee
PS-Hope I'm not boring you with my huge comments. ;)

Jennie said...

Circ, I love this post. You made me get teary. :) We just love Xanth and all your kids. They are the best.

love.boxes said...

We love Xanthe and know she's in the right place.. she fits right in! :) Now if I ever see anything Chinese I think of her.