Sunday, December 9, 2007

Perfect


Freestone got me thinking about perfection today. He was sitting in my lap at church as we were watching a Christmas video that showed the Salt Lake Temple. I said, "We went there, remember?" He said, "No, we didn't." I said, "Yes we did. Remember the dog poop on Ari's shoe?" His reply was, "Oh yeah...the temple. That was pretty." Perfect...
This was after the perfect talk Freestone gave. I walked into Primary and Free was up on the stand. The Pres. asked me if I was ready for Freestone's talk, and I looked at his expectant little face up there and remembered about the talk I was supposed to help him prepare. I walked up and whispered a talk into his ear about Jesus being born in Bethlehem. Doing it one sentence at a time gave me a chance to make it up as I went along! Freestone did a great job. What could be more perfect?
This afternoon, I went for a walk with the little guy. My idea of a perfect walk is a brisk pace and a short distance. Freestone's idea of a perfect walk is wading through the deepest available snowdrift, stopping every couple of feet to inhale and exhale vigorously into his harmonica and eat icicles off the neighbor's truck. I slowed down and looked around, and finally came around to seeing how Freestone's idea of perfect could be a lot more interesting than mine.
It was a perfect day...dark grey sky, biting cold, slushy roads, unprepared for church...it was a good day for a perfect talk, a perfect walk and a perfect memory of our imperfect night at Temple Square. Thank heavens all our days aren't perfect. If they were, we might not remember any of them, and life certainly wouldn't be as colorful!
And speaking of perfect and colorful, I was pleasantly surprised today by a new addition to my collection of art from my friend Michelle. The one on the left was waiting on my doorstep this afternoon, courtesy of Tiff, since Michelle is temporarily not living in Utah! :) The wonderful hand-painted art makes it a little bit easier to have my "potato chip/London china shop/sewing advisor" friend away. Thanks, Michelle! I love it!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, you are just so smart--and right!

Michelle said...

I am glad you got it, I was trying to make it in time for the party but it looks like tif is acting as postwoman for me! You will always be counted as one of my dearest friends! And you can always have my potatoe chips!

love.boxes said...

Perfect writing too. You are such a great writer Circ!

Kristi said...

hey just came across your blog...I am going to add your link on my blog. let me know if it's a problem