Saturday, December 1, 2007

A Winter's Tale



"The chief forms of beauty are order and symmetry and definiteness." - Aristotle
We all woke up to snow on the ground and snow in the air. I told you I would show you why I love Saturday mornings...This is the ballet studio where I teach, right before all the students arrive. In the morning, it is always flooded with light and rich with the expectation of beauty. It is rewarding to help the ballet students work and strive, learning an art form that has been rigidly honed since the time of Louis XIV. It is so great to be a part of the discipline the dancers are learning, from their dress code to their behavior in class to the classical dance form they are studying. It takes years to learn, yet every moment of class counts. My December barre music is all Christmas arrangements for piano...another reason to look forward to class. These feet are Ruby's. She and Golda go to modern dance on Saturdays, then Ruby comes to one of my ballet classes. I love having her in my class and watching her grow.
While I was warmly ensconced in my ballet and Christmas music, Scott was driving through the blizzard to get Golda to play rehearsal. Free was the only one who could go with Daddy, so he took Scott to the children's museum and proudly showed him around. Golda's rehearsal was 5 hours, so the "guys" had plenty of time to hang out at the Sky Box and exude testosterone! They even played arcade games. I think Free is hooked!
After ballet and Ari's cello lesson and play rehearsal, there was plenty of time for sledding and friends and snowmen. We had a house full of some of the kids' favorite friends until it was too dark to play outside, and all the hot cocoa had been consumed. Or spilled. :)
Outside, snow covers everything. Inside, Christmas lights glow and Sport Center drones. I hope your night is just as peaceful!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh I miss Clytie's studio! We had our first Nut run through today and the "Clytie" yelled at Brittany! We left and Brittany said "Mom that wasn't very fun". Yeah, I didn't think so either! And I took the kids to play on the snow they brought into town as I thought of the Utah snow storm and it was seriously the saddest thing ever! Yep, this is a homesick day!

Circe said...

Oh, Michelle! I wish I could give you a hug. I get so excited when I see your messages on my blog! I'm so glad I get to be part of your blog world. It makes us seem more connected than if we were next-door neighbors. Utah has been hogging your creative genius for too long. Livermore needs you! Besides, the real Clytie yells, too! P. S. They brought snow into town? I hope your blog elaborates on that! Love, Circe

Renee said...

Hi Circe,well,I really don't know Michelle,I just found her blog one day via another one & fell in love with what she was making & haven't stopped visiting her blog since & when she posted that you started a blog,I was thrilled to see what your blog was about.I love crafty blogs,but I really do love the simple family ones,it just gives you a warm feeling.I woke up to snow this morning...girls are still in bed now.I wish I lived close to you,I'd love to have my girls take ballet at that beautiful studio with you.Thanks for sharing your days,I really love hearing about them. :) Renee

Michelle said...

Thanks for the hug! I needed that! The snow they brought in looked like it was made by a big snowcone machine. I am going to post pics today. Happy Sunday!