Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas Cheer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






Holiday cheer is manifesting itself in cookies and candy at my house! If you had seen my kitchen yesterday, you would question whether I was merely cheerful, or whether I was borderline manic. Besides the baking, I tried Michelle's candy cane bark, and it turned out so pretty! She has all the instructions on her blog. I crushed my candy canes in the blender, and that worked great. And I didn't use food coloring. The impressiveness-to-labor ratio is high on this treat. It's easy and looks very festive. The trail mix is another easy one. Nuts, dried cranberries, chocolate chips and the striped Toll House chips to make it look colorful.
Meanwhile, Xanthe and Free laid around with mild fevers. Xanthe laid on her "candy cane" blanket and strummed a violin for an hour. Check out Xanthe's droopy eye. That happens when she is tired, and Scott has the same thing. We thought it was pretty cool that she inherited Scott's droopy eye, even though she's not genetically related!
Last night, in a rare confluence of events, Scott and I were both out of the house at the same time! Scott took Golda to flute, then dropped her off at the play and met the rest of the Kings at Settebello for Josh's surprise birthday dinner. The surprise turned out to be Josh showing up on time and ruining the surprise! Settebello, on 2nd W. and 2nd S., is awesome! It's all pizza and salad, authentic Italian style. I highly recommend the hazelnut gelato. Trajan's girlfriend, Jessi, hadn't heard some of the stories about Trajan and Josh as teens, so there were some funny conversations going around. (Does anyone remember Josh and Jeremy and their friends impersonating police officers and pulling cars over using a strobe light and a siren intended for scaring away woodpeckers? It was all fun and games until they pulled over a real cop!)
After dinner, Scott and I caught the last half of Babes in Toyland. It was almost like a date! Scott is just as gorgeous and exciting as when we were dating. Sometime, when Xanthe isn't demanding that I put "wibbons" in her hair "NOW!", I'll tell you about the best Christmas gift Scott ever gave me. It came in five boxes, and it was NOT what I was expecting!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Ok, so now I have to compete with you and Michelle! I think both treats look yummy and I have been searching for a good neighbor gift! Thanks! Settabello is owned by a couple that was in our first ward in Vegas. They opened a location down there and then partnered with someone up here to open that one. It is really good (I like the pizza with the sausage, pine nuts, etc.).

And yes, I for sure know about the police episode along with a few good other ones too! We could really get Jer and Josh good with a few of them!

Michelle said...

You definitely have to tell that story, if it is the one I think it is it makes me cry! Oh and here is one more good neighbor gift idea. YOu mix confetti and glitter and oatmeal and whatever else you can think of, bag it up cut. Then you write a note explaining that it is reindeer food and if kids sprinkle it on their lawn on Christmas eve it will help the reindeer find their house! Looks cool if you are lucky enough to have snow! Oh, and that is amazing about Xanthe's eye!