Saturday, August 8, 2009

Camping Trip




Araceli and Freestone asked me if they could sleep out on the back porch. I was about to say no when I heard Ari say, "I've never been on a camping trip before!!" She and Freestone were so excited! So I said yes, thinking that by doing so, I was getting out of ever taking them on an actual camping trip. Their sleeping bags are only good at 70 degrees, anyway. If they ever ask why we don't camp, I'll say, "We do. Remember that camping trip back in '09? The cookies and milk? The bugs? The stars?"

I cautioned the kids that they could only stay outside if they didn't draw attention to themselves. I didn't want them to keep knocking on the window, summoning me to come look how adorable they were. The camping trip lasted until the third time I had to tell them to take the sleeping bags off their heads and stop walking around crashing into the patio furniture. Had we been in the real outdoors, it would have been a looong night, as wound-up as the little campers were.

As they trudged to their boring old bedrooms, I may have put a further damper on Freestone's enthusiasm when I mentioned that we had church the next day. He groaned and replied, "Ugh! I'd rather drink boiling hot water all day long!" Well, I'd rather drink boiling hot water all day than go camping, so I guess I can relate. Poor kid!

6 comments:

Jennie said...

I think Free and Collin belong to the same "I dread church" club. I'm afraid it might be contagious. This morning Izzy was not onboard for church either and used Collin's phraseology to express her detest.

Michelle said...

See, you are still the queen of fun! And I think that absolutely gets you off the hook for camping!

Michelle said...

Oh,and Matthew is right there with the Dopp boys in his feelings about church!

SSWS said...

Boiling hot water? Where did Free get that? Doesn't your Montana trip count as camping? How about they join us next year? They'll get over it!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea...while it lasted!!

love.boxes said...

I'd go camping if I only had to go as far as your porch Circ! :)