Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Optimism

None of us is perfect. I think we have that established, but it doesn't stop most of us from expecting perfection from ourselves and others. I have been so far from perfect lately, I started to wonder if I had postpartum depression. For a couple of days, I meant to get online and find out how to manage the baby blues, but I never got a chance. I was completely overwhelmed by getting from one task to the next while trying to enjoy the last week of summer. Last night after the kids were in bed, Scott was at a meeting. Ptolemy was awake, so I reached over to my nightstand and flipped open the Ensign to read. It opened to an article titled, "Managing Postpartum Depression." There was all the information I needed! It was a confirmation that the Lord is with us in our trials and is aware of our needs. I started thinking about how many other tender mercies I had experienced in my day. Earlier, Sarah called to have my kids over as I was trying to arrange babysitting for my visiting teaching lunch. A neighbor offered to bring Xanthe home from ballet just as I was wondering how I was going to be in two places at once. Scott came home with Ruby's school shopping all done. Later, Golda was craving an Oreo shake, and I felt guilty because I couldn't swing that with 6 kids, and it seemed like the squeakier wheels were getting all the grease. Just then, Dad called and said he wanted to bring us some "malted milks" and see how Ruby was recovering from her root canal. Golda got her Oreo shake.

As I read the postpartum depression article, I recognized myself..."feeling a sense of failure, having difficulty focusing or concentrating, struggling for perfection, feeling as though you are losing your mind, feeling overwhelmed." And on top of that, feeling guilty and inadequate about all the help that has already been rendered. This is my life, I chose it, I should be able to handle it. People have said, "Well, you shouldn't try to do so much." As if it's my fault that I'm overwhelmed. As if I could choose to stop doing laundry, grocery shopping and violin repairs, and tell two of the girls they can't take dance classes anymore. As if that would solve it. I'm not "trying to do so much." I'm trying to maintain the lifestyle that I feel will best serve my children, including educating them in the arts and feeding and clothing them. It's not supposed to be easy, and telling me I'm doing it wrong isn't helpful. Dropping out of everything and staying home in my sweats would make me suicidal. I like my life and all the stuff that it's comprised of. Soon I'll feel the strength to be on top of the game again. The article said, "there is hope for normal functioning while experiencing feelings of depression." Good to know! My Nana just had surgery for skin cancer and a skin graft on her nose. When I visited her on Monday, she had a big bandage across her bruised face. I asked her how she was feeling, and she said in her cheerful voice, "Well, I'm just...planning on getting better!"

So this is a chapter in my summer, maybe one to be mitigated when school starts. For now, through the intensity of this time, I'm thankful to be able to enjoy so many fun and joyful moments, and to keep my head above water so I can see the beauty. If you see me at a recital with no shoes on and three-week-old nail polish chipping off my toes, (Hi Michelle!), just know that I'll have it all together soon!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Circe, you are an incredibly beautiful and talented person. I love the insight you are willing to candidly share. I started back to work this week, and feeling a little overwhelmed I haven't been there to help...but would be glad to help anytime you need a chauffer or a break. You are amazing!

The Brown Family said...

Thanks for the post! I didn't actually give birth to my baby, and we have had him for almost 18 months, but it has been a roller coaster ride and last week I felt that it all caught up to me.

I'm going to find that article. I'm sure there is much in there for me to glean from it.

Love
Kim

Eliza2006 said...

Oh, I feel your pain. Looking back, I was depressed for probably a good 3 months after Solomon was born. You have 6 kids, and you've been through it before, but just remember that life really, really starts to resemble normal when the baby is about 6 months. Hang in there...it is a wonderful, crazy life!

SSWS said...

I love it when I find answers in the Ensign....it's miraculous. I had the baby blues with Ellison and will never forget how down you can feel. My mom's friend described it as "bursting into tears when a leaf falls from the tree." It feel so ridiculously depressing and then your logic beats you up more! It's hard being a mom...I agree, 6 months and you will be good as new. School starts Monday!

Emily said...

I felt that way after my first and second baby, even though I had no other chillins to look after. It's all relative and I don't think changing your life from the way you want it would help. In a few months you will emerge from the "fog" .....!

Jennie said...

Rubes had a root canal. I'm so sorry. That has been one more think to do this week for you - helping a child through intense pain. I echo everyone's sentiments. Hold on until Monday. The light will come. :) Even though I was at the hospital all day today with Jacks, the break away from the other kiddos was a (I hate to admit it) a nice break from our kid filled summer. Hopefully next week and those breaks during the day with just X and P will help bring the sunshine in a little bit more. I love ya!

Michelle said...

Okay just for the record I love your barefeet and chipped toes! Somehow they endear you to me even more! I have always wondered at the paradox of new babies. They are so miraculous and wonderful and yet so HARD at the same time. Even good ones like P. I absolutely agree that you need to attack life the way that works for your family and if ever there is a family that I think is working it is yours! School starts Monday-hurray!

Maria said...

Here Here! Circe,you are not alone and are AMAZING!!! I understand a fraction of the feelings and was told the other day to just "give it up!" Realize that you are really quite EXTRAORDINARY and your kids are the proof of that!:)

Marilyn said...

Circe, Thanks for the good cry--it's always good to hear from you. You are wonderful. I read that same article a while back and had similiar feelings. I think of you often. Glad we are in this together. Remember you have a lot of Nanna Ruby in you!

Jennifer said...

Oh, Circe, I'm so sorry that you're feeling this way, and even more sorry that I didn't know before. Motherhood is so hard. We're supposed to feel utterly grateful for the role, which only adds to the downward spiral of self-doubt anytime we're frustrated. Not to mention the very real effects of sleep deprivation. Would your kids like to play here so you can nap when Pt does?

Taylor Family said...

I think I felt that way the whole first year on Austin's life. I am glad to know you feel that way because it seems like you always have everything all together.

love.boxes said...

I couldn't agree with you more Circ. I often have trouble keeping up with my house, but if I stop doing things with my children, reading, learning and painting so that I can have a perfect yard and house.. I would be miserable. Continue to march to your own drummer.. your whole band plays beautiful music.. you'll be OK.

The homestead said...

Having a baby is the most beautiful wrench you could throw in your life and schedule. The one thing that helped me was Gordon told me, 'You just have to lower your expectations.' This time will pass so quickly, which is both good and bad.

Jennifer said...

I wanted to add that I think you're amazing! You still can do it all, maybe just in a different time frame than you're used to. Be easy on yourself, you're wonderful.

laurel said...

I have had the baby blues. They are tough. Each person has to deal with it there own way. You know what is right for you and your family. I had to find what was right for me before I was where I needed to be. Hang in there. We are all praying for you!

Elisa said...

I read the same article... and described me to a T. I get PPD really bad...

I hear you. I feel your pain. You're not alone.