Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Success!





It was all a big success, the first day of school. Scott and I both went with Golda to her first day of junior high. After allowing us one picture outside the school, she fled through the front doors, hoping nobody saw her with her parents. I had a little anxiety attack when I went to orientation with her last week. I remembered my jr. high experience: feeling ugly, not being able to find my classes, wearing Izod when all the cool kids were wearing Polo, not knowing which music was in. I was a baby. My parents hadn't told me there was music written after Chopin and Beethoven. I thought Chicago was just a city and that U2 was spelled "You Too."

Golda shared none of my angst and had a great first day. I felt more comfortable walking the littles to elementary school at my alma mater, a block away. Before we left, Freestone had to get Star in a picture so she wouldn't feel left out. Star loves school. She sneaks over to recess any chance she gets. Freestone was immersed in French from the moment he walked in the classroom. Not wanting to break the "French only" rule, I said, "A toute a l'heure, Freestone! Je t'aime!" He looked at me like I was nuts. Jakey reported to his mom later, "Our teacher CAN speak English, but she WON'T!" It will be fun to see how the immersion class turns out. We're totally committed for the long haul, so one way or another, Freestone will learn French.

Araceli and Ruby both have wonderful teachers whom they are familiar with. It was an early out day, so we had a chance to regroup after school and get homework, practicing and reading done before the 4:00 lesson marathon started. This is going to be a great year. I've implemented just a couple of rules. 1. Breakfast together with everybody at 7:15. 2. no TV during the week. 3. No screen time of any kind for me or anyone else during after school hours. We'll see how that works. What is your most important rule during the school year, and how do you get it to stick?! Good luck, all you school-age families! As my dad always says, "Study hard!"

9 comments:

Elisa said...

My most important rule is Breakfast together at 7:00am, while we listen to "the man read the voice of the Lord" (as Thing 3 used to call it) or in other words, the scriptures.

Hard. Steadfast. No bones about it.

I also want the last thing they hear from me, that will be running through their brains all day long to be: "Make Good Choices." I yell it at them as they leave me... it embarrasses them.

I really like the no screen time after school rule... me thinks we may be copying!

Jennie said...

I'm so glad everyone had a great first day. They all looked great. Rules.... well, as you know we have few around our house. They get 1/2 hr. downtime and then it is time to hit the books and get homework done ASAP. Some days I have to be flexible due to lessons and such, but for the most part it is done before dinner. We hope you guys have a great year.

Michelle said...

I am with Jennie, I think they do need a bit of down time but then it is great to get the homework out of the way.

Michelle said...

Oh, and I am so glad they had great first days, our second was actually better today. Hope keeps going likethat.

Michelle said...

Oh, and I am so glad they had great first days, our second was actually better today. Hope keeps going likethat.

Michelle said...

Hey, I am planning on the park tomorrow hope you, Tif and Sarah are!

Paige said...

HOW DO YOU do it with all those kids and all that paper and all those different classes? I'm completely overwhelmed by the first day today. and it's only 3 different classes. I make lunches the night before, do homework right after school, playdates only once a week, and then abandon all those rules but the second week. But right now I'm feeling quite accomplished with the lunches made and kids taking a pre bedtime swim!

Jennifer said...

I'm trying for a 7:30 devotional with a song, thought/scripture and prayer. Kyle has missed all three days because he's running around the house to find shoes before the carpool honk. And he's my oldest. Sigh.

laurel said...

So glad they had a great day.