Tuesday, August 4, 2009

First the Worst





As Freestone found out in Montana, sometimes first is the worst and sometimes it's the best! Xanthe had a fun first today with her very first ballet class. She has been looking forward to it for years, as she's watched the other girls come and go in their leotards and tights. She wasn't disappointed! Her teacher, Lisa, is the one every tiny dancer must have at Clytie's. When Xanthe bounced into the studio, fully planning on becoming all clingy and weepy at any second, Lisa already knew who she was and captured her heart before she had a chance to get freaked out. Phew!

Ruby had her first jazz class tonight. She loved it and demonstrated every move when she got home. I spent a breezy evening watching Ruby's new moves, accompanied by a thousand crickets, on the back porch. It's so fun to see Ruby grow and embrace every new thing that comes her way. Fifth grade is going to be a great year for her.

Golda wasn't so lucky. She had the worst of the firsts today, her first migraine. I was hoping that the migraine gene wouldn't blight my kids' lives, but it finally struck. Golda couldn't see, threw up, cried that her head hurt and became delirious. As a kid, I never knew what hit me whenever I got a migraine. When my parents figured out what was wrong, I still had to wait it out in a dark room every time, plagued by the hammering in my head. I lived in fear of the next migraine. There's better medication nowadays, so I took Golda to the doc and he gave her a shot for the nausea and a shot to dilate her blood vessels. She immediately fell asleep in the doctor's office. If migraines are going to be part of her adolescence, we need a treatment plan. Today, she missed her voice lesson and her ballet class, and I don't want that to happen next time. Now we're prepared with a prescription and a plan.

Whew! Today was a reminder that, as Ptolemy does every little thing for the very first time, all the other kids are constantly growing and changing and experiencing new things, too. It can be overwhelming, but it's what life is made of, right?!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Golda may have gotten the rotten migrane gene but at least she got the smart, pro-active mom too! I'm afraid I wouldn't have thought to jump in there and get her real help. That is why I am so glad I have you to break-trail for me. Now if Brittany someday comes up with that little trick I will think to take her right in.

And why didn't I go wash my hands and hold that baby? I kicked myself all the way home, I missed a baby fix!

Tiffany said...

Poor, sweet girl. I feel her pain. Migraines run in my family, too. I have them on a very regular basis. Imatrex seems to work about 90% of the time for me.

Jennie said...

We hope G gets feeling better. That is no fun. I never had them, but my sis, Julie, did and they were not fun.

X is SO cute. I'm glad her first day was successful!

Anonymous said...

So glad Xanthe and Ruby had great firsts! Good luck to Golda. Migranes get in the way of a good life. Glad we live in a time with better meds:)

love.boxes said...

I'm so glad that something can be done for Golda. You are an on-the-ball-mom!