Thursday, August 13, 2009

Trailing Clouds of Glory


If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. -Henry David Thoreau

Children are born as individuals. If we fail to see that, if we see them as clay to be molded in any shape we like, the tougher ones will fight back and end up spiteful and wild, while the less strong will lose that uniqueness they were born with. -Melvin Konner

Sometimes I wonder what is wrong with my children. I ask, Why is she so defiant? Why is she so emotional? Why can't he stop pretending to punch me in the face? What can we do to get them to change? Why aren't they more obedient?

Here's what I have to remember: None of us were given broken children. We were given children who are utterly perfect, each in their own way. They each have their struggles, yes. But what if I look at parenting not as fixing their deficiencies, but as helping them discover their strengths? If our children are children of God, then they have profound potential. They don't need me to shine a light on their weaknesses. That would be missing the point. They don't need mending. They need understanding. Whatever their strengths and weaknesses are, these children are supposed to be that way. I'll try to remember how beautiful and fragile they are, and how much responsibility I have for unlocking their strengths. It's a delicate process. I'm going to need more finesse and wisdom.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

So beautiful and so wise. Thanks for the reminder. I loved that none of us was given broken children. Perfect.

Tiffany said...

Thanks for the insight! I needed the reminder.

Jennifer said...

Thank you for this. I love the part about shining a light on their weaknesses. If we spotlighted their strengths instead, maybe the rest would be shadowed. I have a lot of work to do.

I hope you have a better day. :)

SSWS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SSWS said...

Beautifully put...and a beautiful photo of Ptolemy.

love.boxes said...

more finesse and wisdom over here too.

Jennie said...

I agree. It is a dance. It is hard to find just the right balance at times of correcting and strengthening what is already there. This next school year will be full of discovery, I'm sure. Discovering ways you can help them improve their strenghts and also work through the struggles. All of us have individual trials and challenges; another thing that makes us so unique. As always, I'm sure you will do a wonderful job.

Anonymous said...

This post is beautiful and so very true. Ptolemy is beautiful!! Sorry we missed you today. Em loves to play with Xanthe. She talks about her all the time.

On Monday several moms and GFC are still meeting at Liberty park. 10:30 if you want to join. I have to work...Not happy about missing
:( Several moms are coming!

Elisa said...

I had an epiphany with one of my kids. It drove me completely insane, until I started thinking of these things that were bothersome behaviors not as weaknesses but rather strengths.

It has made all the difference.


(Great to see you last night. You are as beautiful as ever, and your children are so well behaved!)