Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Groundhog Day



Ruby and I made a pilgrimage to Orem this morning for a check-up with the pediatric infectious disease doctor. The check-up came at a good time, because Ruby's neck has been looking worse the past few days. Turns out, she needs another surgery. I really feel like we're living in the movie, Groundhog Day. And I really hated that movie.

Today's doctor visit turned from a 10-minute follow-up to a 2-hour project, including a CT scan and lots of projectile baby fluids. Ptolemy came prepared with enough ammunition to soil an entire Lands' End warehouse. By the time we left the hospital, I was lugging a bag of dirty baby clothes bigger than the backpack I took on an eight-week trip to Europe. At some point during the game of Extreme Motherhood, you just have to laugh.

Finally, Ruby got all set up for a surgery consult tomorrow at Primary's. I really hope that this is the last and final chapter in the Freakish Infection saga of Ruby's life. I can't tell you what a good sport she has been, through months of heavy medication, doctor visits, pain and frustration. The bright spot has been that, between Dr. Scheuller and the I.D. doctor, we have gotten the best care possible. The doc today not only muscled us in for the CT scan right away, but also managed to set up the surgery consult for tomorrow so Ruby could have this whole thing behind her by the time school starts.

As long as I'm touting Ruby's bravery, let me just brag about her generosity, too. On the way home from the doctor, we stopped at McDonald's. As I was ordering, Ruby slipped in the request, "Oh, Mom, get something for that guy over there. He's unemployed and hungry." At least that's what his cardboard sign said. Fortunately for the guy, a mom can't say no to a request like that, especially coming from a little girl who's holding a bandage to her neck. As messed up as her neck is, at least we know there's nothing wrong with her heart. She's just a beautiful girl.

12 comments:

Annissa said...

Hope all goes well with Ruby's surgery! What a trooper.

Lexie said...

We r all praying 4 u rubes!

Michelle said...

Yikes! This saga just never ends! let me know if I can help!

Emily said...

Seriously! Ruby has handled this like a champ. We hope this ends soon for her too...

Taylor Family said...

Circe I am so sorry. She is a little champ. I am sorry I didn't ask how she was when I called today. Let me know if we can do anything.

SSWS said...

And she makes fantastic brownies!! Thank you Ruby, again thinking of others on your crazy day. Hope all goes well...keep us posted.

The homestead said...

We wish Ruby the best of luck today!

Jennie said...

Oh Man! I'm sorry to hear that Rubes. On the bright side, if you have to go to a hospital, PCMC is the best. You are bound to leave with a popsicle or a fun toy. That always makes Jaks feel a bit better. Keep us posted.

Trajan said...

Ruby wanting to get something for the unemployed guy sounds like something her mom would do.

Anonymous said...

Thinking and praying for Ruby tomorrow. Hope all goes well. So no Em tomorrow but would be glad to help in any way.

Maria said...

Good luck Ruby and Circe!
We are thinking and praying for you and your family. Some families just can't seem to catch a break!!!

love.boxes said...

Oh Circ.. I hope that Ruby is going to be just as perfect on the outside as she is on the inside very soon. Love to you all.