Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday Night Live








It's Friday night and the Dopps are scattered hither and yon. Xanthe had her excitement for the day earlier when she received a long-awaited cupcake for not waking me up in the night. I can't really begin to relate the three-year saga of Xanthe waking up and calling for me in the night, but I have tried EVERYTHING to get her to stop. Mean, nice, patient, pleading, shouting, threatening to wear a scary mask, promising stuff, trying to understand her motives, praying for strength. Finally, I resorted to Jenny's advice: a sticker chart. The dang thing worked. It took her about 10 nights to earn five stickers. Now that she's had her cupcake, we'll see if she goes for the next incentive, a Tasty donut for six stickers. (I tried fruit. she said, "But I don't need fruit.") So Xanthe is asleep, hopefully until morning.

Golda and Ruby were invited to a red-carpet Hollywood birthday party by their most glamorous cousin, Alexis. It looked like so much fun! I know Jennie has some amazing stuff planned for them tonight! Ruby was a few minutes late, changing in the car on the way from guitar. I thought she was going to go crazy getting through her group class, but she made it. Happy birthday, Lexie! We love you!

Araceli was lucky enough to be invited to a fun late-over. She and Ellison are going to make fettucine and brownies. Ari was prepared, wearing her jammies and carrying a robe, a blanket, two dolls and a big smile.

With all the girls out of the picture, I asked Freestone what he wanted to do, since he had the full attention of both parents. He said, "Play Lego Indiana Jones with Tolly." In contrast to girls, who want to flit around the kitchen doing grandes battements and tour jetes while talking your ears off until the wee hours of the night, that's easy!

Scott didn't need too much convincing to retire to his "man cave" with his favorite treat, a bag of Haribo raspberries. That leaves me to read the book I got at the library today, Have a New Kid by Friday. I told the librarian, "I'm hoping to have five new kids by Friday." She said, "You have five kids?" I was holding Ptolemy, and I answered, "I have six, but I haven't ruined this one yet." Ha ha. Really, I don't want any new kids. I love them all just as they are. I love parenting books, though, and this one looks funny. I'll see if I can learn anything new by the time they all get back...or wake me up in the night.

8 comments:

sws said...

you really did blog! I love the photo of Free and Tolly....so happy. What a fun night!

Queen Elizabeth said...

Keep us posted, please, on any insights from the book. Looks like an amazing night!

Jenny said...

Sticker charts have always worked like a charm for us. I came up with a new twist on them if X tires of that. Looks like a fun party at Lex's. All the girls are getting so big! and your book, that's the only kind of read I like so you will have to let me know what you think of it. Maybe I'll call you next Friday. Hee, hee!

Taylor Family said...

Can I come and live at your house it looks like so much fun all the time. Cade loves Indiana Jones I litteraly haven't seen or heard from him since Christmas.

Michelle said...

I made cupcakes with awesome frosting today. Let me know if you need some! Oh, and if the book works! The girls look way too old!

C and MC said...

Whoa girlfriends . . . VA VA VOOM! That looks like an awesome birthday party Hollywood style.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for Xanthe and for you. Hope the sticker rewards continue to do the trick. Em still goes through phases of waking up. Ruby and Golda looked really grownup. Please past on advice if the book worked.

Jennie said...

Okay Rubes..... I finally have the pictures posted. Enjoy!