Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wednesday Lunch

I'll tell you a secret. I have been getting together with some of my high school (OK, kindergarten) friends for lunch every week. It's not really a secret, but I still wonder how we get away with such a luxury! How are we all able to walk away from those dishes and carpools and worries and sit down together in a beautiful home with nice plates and eat real food? While it's still hot! I don't know why we didn't think of it sooner! Even if there are still quite a few 5-and-unders cruising about, the lunches are a sanctuary in my week. Getting to know each others' kids is just an added blessing.

Today I realized why I love Wednesday lunch so much. It was at the moment when Jen said, "Circe, I've been thinking about that problem you had last week and I'll tell you what I think." What an extraordinary thing to be able to lay a problem at my friends' feet and to have them turn it over in their minds and help me come to a conclusion. Tiffany did the same thing for me last week. It happens all the time. I just hope I can learn to be as receptive to friends' difficulties and as giving with my support. I hope I can learn to emulate all the ways in which my friends are remarkable. If you don't have a Wednesday Lunch group, go out there and create one. None of us should go through life without friends, and no matter who you are, they are there for the cultivating if you're willing to go out on a limb.

5 comments:

Jennie said...

Thanks for letting me go out on a limb and adopt you and your crew. They are so genuine and refreshing. Now off to try and get a few pages in before the crew walks in the door. The afternoons always pass too quickly. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm starting a dinner group with my friends so we can talk about our "issues" (stuff like: Will Boozer be traded?, Does Max Hall still hate me?, How do you get through that first level of Uncharted 2?, etc.).

Circe said...

Dear Anon (Scott), sign your name! Your group sounds like a great idea!

Michelle said...

Hey Scott, William will be your friend! Seriously Circ, you always put it so perfectly. I don't know what I would do without you guys, I keep thinking I can't remain so lucky as to have these lunches continue EVERY week!

laurel said...

Wow, that is great. I don't live by any of my friends from high school. What a treat. You are so lucky.