Thursday, January 14, 2010

Heartbroken for Haiti

A friend of mine who grew up with me and adopted from China at the same time we did has a daughter in Haiti. She and her family are frantic for news out of her daughter's orphanage, and worried to death about all their friends in the region. They have a son from Haiti who is already safely here. Can you imagine having a child who is, instead of being safely in your arms, trying to hang on in the epicenter of a devastating earthquake? Just look at her picture on Crystal's blog.

When I called Crystal to ask how we could help, she told me two things. First, you can text the word "Haiti" to 90999. The American Red Cross will automatically get $10.00, which will be added to your phone bill. Also, you can get money to Crystal. She know Western Union is operating and can quickly wire funds to the orphanage director, who is trying desperately to buy enough food and water for all the babies in her care, which is difficult on a good day in Haiti.

Also, the LDS Church is sending aid primarily in the form of medical supplies and hygiene kits. I will be assembling HYGIENE KITS at my house Tuesday morning from 10:00 - 12:00 and taking them to the Humanitarian Center in Salt Lake. A shipment of kits will go out next week. Please click on the link to see what is needed and join me at my house during that time if you have a minute. Bring what supplies you can to add to the supplies I will already have. We think we can't help, but we can. Most importantly, say a prayer for the children whose adoptions are completed, who only need a passport and a visa to grant them the safety of their parents' arms here in the States.

10 comments:

Amanda said...

FYI - a great place to buy supplies for hygiene kits is through White Elegance. You buy supplies, assemble the kits yourself, and then take them to the Humanitarian Center.

Thanks for doing this, Circe. I, too, have been wondering what I can do!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Circe. Where I could only cry, you've prompted action. Count on me Tuesday.

Elder Cook said...

Circe Thank you for the phone call today. It is always nice to know someone is thinking about you especially when you need it most.
Thank you
Love Crystal

Michelle said...

I'm there!

Jennifer said...

Oops. I forgot that we might not be home that day, so may I bring by a few things? What would be the best -- ziplocs, toothbrushes?

sws said...

I love assembling Hygene kits! I'll be there! ss

Mat and Brooke said...

Circe,

My name is Brooke Shaw. I'm Kenzie Stratford's older sister. I want you to know that I love your blog and look at it often. You are an inspiration to me and I'm often in awe at the many things you're able to shoulder!

This post really got me. Thank you for helping open up a window of understanding. I am going to do what I can to help those in Haiti who have lost so much.

I hope all works out for your friend and that she's able to get that sweet little girl as soon as possible . What devastating news that must have been for them.

Taylor Family said...

I will be there on Tuesday. I will call you and find out the details on Tuesday

Kristi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristi said...

(let's try this again, with a proofread...)

Circe, you are an angel!

Nothing is quite so cathartic as taking action, and being a force for good. :)