Friday, January 29, 2010

New Kids on the Block


I'm sure everyone is anxiously awaiting the verdict. (Or possibly just Jer's Jenny!) Did I get a whole batch of new kids by Friday? The short answer is yes, I think I did. Not due to changes in the kids, necessarily, but due to changes in the mom. I'll tell you what the major things I took away from the book were.

1. "Say it once, turn your back, walk away." I tried to stick with not nagging, but trusting the kids to do what I asked. If they didn't, an unforeseen consequence would take place later. "Oh, you want a friend over? That would have been fun, but remember when you didn't take out the garbage like I asked? Sorry!" Surprisingly, the kids accepted this approach.

2. "When you get angry at your kids, it is like throwing up all over them." It's harsh, but it's true. I truly believe that it harms my kids when they are the recipients of my free-floating anger. I am working on dealing with them in a way that completely excludes me throwing up hostility all over them. They don't need that, and it is not an effective parenting tool. This is a big goal for me. I know I can find a better way than anger.

3. I asked myself approximately five thousand times this week, "Is this a big deal?" Hairspray in the car...couch cushions on the floor...chanting nursery rhymes...laughing too loud...walking in the snow... so many things, I found I could let slide and have happy kids in exchange. I noticed that what I had perceived as gentle course corrections could be perceived as constant criticism by my kids. Why do I always have to be telling them what not to do when it's not a big deal? I tried to redirect my energy to listening to them rather than bossing them. Did they become completely unruly? No. They became more relaxed and cooperative, more confident that they could go about their day without someone constantly saying in effect, "You're doing that wrong. You're doing that wrong. you're doing that wrong."

If parenting were like climbing a ladder, something you get better and better at, I think I would be one step better after my efforts this week. Alas, a new complication will inevitably arise next week, and I will be at the library looking under "Self-help." Someday maybe all my bits of knowledge will coalesce into some kind of rudimentary ability to successfully raise these kids. Until then, I keep trying. Most importantly, to my offspring who read this blog, I LOVE this job! I am honored to be your mom. You are great. I love you!

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Circ, I love this post. It just sums up all of the things I need to work on! I am a true believer that our kids are a product of our actions. Thanks for the tips! Maybe I SHOULD read that book! Or better yet, I think I can skip it because I just got the cliff notes from you! Thanks!!

Jennie said...

I think I need to get this book. I feel like I'm constantly asking and reasking for them to complete a task. Get your shoes on, get your shoes on, get your shoes on. It can be exhausting.

Thanks for the insight. You are doing a marvelous (billy crystal voice) job!

Emily said...

Keep reading, & keep sharing please! I loved all of that.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great book with some great insight. The throwing up thing really made me think.

laurel said...

Jay and I just had this conversation yesterday. We were saying "Is what we did right?" "Are we srewing them up?". I will admit we had just "Thrown up" on one of our kids. We did a 1,2,3 class years ago, that is very similar to what you said. THanks for the reminder! I needed it. I also think I need to repent for throwing up on my kid.

Amanda said...

Those are the things I'm constantly trying to work on too! I keep telling myself to choose my battles carefully. If it doesn't really matter, then why correct them? But I'm always reminding myself because I find I'm nagging them out of habit! Horrible, isn't it? One day we were eating pizza and breadsticks for dinner and I was nagging a child to finish her pizza before she was allowed a breadstick. Brandon wisely turned to me and asked, "Why does it matter? It's all the same stuff anyway." I don't know! I'm just in the habit of nagging at my kids to eat their main dish of the meal before they can have extras! It was a good reminder for me to chill out!

Jennifer said...

I love your new quote.

Thank you for sharing all these parenting insights. Goodness knows, I need them!