Monday, January 25, 2010

Miracles


There are miracles.

Through all the devastation and heartache, things like this are happening all over Haiti because there is a God and He is mindful of His people. It is agonizing for those whose prayers have not yet been answered, but there is a plan.

At the beginning of our adoption journey, I had strong feelings about Haiti. I really wanted to adopt from there. On a trip to Miami, we found a Haitian ward and attended church there. The people were incredibly warm and open, the beautiful children were allowed to roam the aisles. If one needed a mama, any one of the congregation would pick that child up. The meeting was all in Haitian Creole, except for the talk from the visiting Stake President. His ethnic background was Dominican, and he spoke English with a heavy Spanish accent. I don't know how any of the Creole speakers understood him, but I didn't understand 90 percent of the meeting, and I got it anyway. It was there in that meeting that I got a sense of the universal nature of Heavenly Father's plan and understood that his love transcends language and culture, and that he loves each one of us.

In an article today, I read about a Haitian woman who had lost her daughter in the hurricanes a few years ago. Her son was killed in the recent earthquake. She said, "I am scared, but I keep praying." That is a kind of strength that I can't even imagine. As we go about our daily lives today, there are tragedies and miracles swirling around the little island of Hispanola in the Caribbean Sea. There are countless prayers being offered up on behalf of a tiny nation and God's children who live there. There are planes full of aid going in, planes full of children coming out. My girls raised $118.00 selling their dolls. It's a drop in the ocean, but it helps. I saw that one family had raised ten thousand dollars for jet fuel to go to Port Au Prince to get their children and others. The plane has to be full of humanitarian aid to land in PAP, so the LDS Church is filling its hold with needed supplies. There is so much more to do, it makes you wonder, why even try? I don't know. I just think we can make a difference. And if we don't bear one another's burdens, then who are we?

9 comments:

Ryan said...

That was a beautiful news story. I'm so glad that family has a happy ending. Hopefully there will be many more stories like that - parents reuniting with their children - at last!

Plumptom said...

Great story!!! You are amazing. What time on PRes. Day. We are planning on it.

Plumptom said...

It is me and apparently, once again AUstin is logged in on my computer.....sorry - Laurel

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story...for a minute it sounded like you were headed to Haiti. Is it ok to invite other moms to Chinese New Year?

Shane and Kenzie said...

Shane and I have also been deeply touched by the outreach of individuals and groups toward the Haiti relief... It is so sad to see so many in such turmoil, especially the orphaned children. Over the past few days we have had strong feelings that someday we should adopt, and Haiti could possibly be the first place we would choose to look. Thank you for your story, it's good to know that there are many of us that feel the same way!

Lisa and Tate said...

Amen.... so beautifully expressed which touched my heart.

I just posted Tate's doll on blog, also linked studio 12... I hope this is okay?

Hugs

Michelle said...

Beautifully said as always

The Brown Family said...

I just ordered on Studio Twelve. I don't know if you have my email: hmgpmom@thebluezone.net

Email me and we'll work out the details.

Also, we are doing our Ut Co Chinese New Year celebration on Sat, Feb 6. Let me know if you guys would be interested in coming down and I'll give you all the details :)

Kim

Sarah Smiles said...

Good job girls! Way to make a difference! Thanks for sharing your lovely experience!