Monday, October 4, 2010

Beach Bag X 10

Between Scott and Coco, all ten kids are set for the beach.  Scott hit a big sale at Target and got stacks of workbooks and activities for 20 cents each.  He also got beach hats for 19 cents.  I happened to find entire outfits for one dollar.  I lucked out and went to the store just as the guy was marking them down.  He never got a chance to put up the $1.00 sign.  I think I bought them all!  Hey, we have a kid in every size.

My mom is a shopping enthusiast.  If she sees something on sale, she gets all of them.  And that's how all the girls ended up with the happiest beach bags ever to put all the loot in.  Then, in order to tell the bags apart, Coco bought each of us a keychain with our initial on it.  Isn't she a problem solver?  How lucky are we that Coco's favorite hobby just happens to result in lots of presents for us?  Or maybe it's just because she loves us that shopping for us is her favorite hobby.  I can't tell you how often Coco shows up with a bag, saying, "When I saw this, I just thought of Ari..."  Or whichever kid she thought of.  Some of these kids aren't even technically hers, but she claims them anyway.  They claim her, too.  Who wouldn't?!  She's got a semi-dangerous clubhouse, a porch full of hammocks, an unlimited supply of popsicles, a penchant for finding stray kittens and a seriously fun shopping addiction.  When my nephew Jake used to come to our house every day, he kept telling his mom about "Taco."  "I played at Taco's house.  Taco gave me this toy.  Taco took me to Wendy's.  Taco got a kitten."  Eventually, Michelle realized that Taco was Coco, not some strange man lurking in the bushes!

Taco is a funny nickname, but I think we'll stick with Coco.  Scott gave her the name Coco when Golda was born, as in Coco Channel, because he said she could be the "shopping grandma."  She certainly lives up to the moniker!  I can't imagine what she'd have to do to live up to "Taco."  Somehow, Taco doesn't sound like she would be quite as fun as Coco.  Thanks, Mom!

6 comments:

Jennie said...

Taco - how funny! I've never heard the story of how Coco came into her name. It fits perfectly! We are every so happy to claim Coco as well! My kids are so lucky and SO excited! Thanks C!

Nate said...

Really great beach bags. You are very prepared and also great shoppers! Sounds like incredible sales. Just read your previous post on food. Don't know if they will ever go away, but like you, pretty sure they are related to pre-adoption food experiences. Em still won't eat much and many meals wants me to spoon feed her. Pretty bizarre for a 4 1/2 year old.

Kristi said...

Everyone should have a shop-happy grandma/mom. It's best that way.

I'm jealous of whateve plans you have involving beach bags. lucky!

Michelle said...

Okay, how funny is it that you posta this today, the day my mom called from London to see if I could ask your mom a shopping question? She wanted to know where the china shop we saw you in was. You know, about 25 years ago? Coco remembered.

Lisa and Tate said...

I wonder how Coco got her name.... thought you were a modern family and grandparents were called by their first names....

I am loving the floral beachbags! Where did she get them?

Also, I want two Nutcracker tickets for either Nov 19 or 20th evening performances. Prefer the $9 seats assuming they are better seating than the $6(??) but what is available.....

Let me know and I will get a chk in the mail asap.

Michelle said...

Taco, I really was wondering how you were letting Jake play with.

In fact I didn't figure it out until Jake said "Taco you know Freestone's Grandma".

In fact I took Taco's idea to always have popsicles in the freezer available for when the kids want them. We should start calling it the Coco Freezer.