Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Happy Birthday, Grandma!



"I like when we watch Grandma do presents," Xanthe says.  Happy birthday, Grandma!  I think what Xanthe means is that it's fun to see everyone open their presents when we do birthdays together, and today it's Grandma's turn! Freestone says,  "She's fun and she's a great, great, great grandma.  My favorite thing to do with Grandma is to get presents from her."  Not sure that's about Grandma, but one of the best things about Grandma is that she is an excellent gift giver.  She and grandpa shop year-round for Christmas and always come up with the perfect thing for each and every person in the family.  I don't know how they do it.

Ari says, "Grandma is a really good chef."  That's true!  The kids love it when we get to go to Grandma's on Sunday.  It doesn't matter if it's one of her big, fancy meals or one of her "simple" meals.  Food at Grandma's is always better that other food.  I'm pretty sure that it's the love she serves with it that makes the food so comforting.  The other day, we were talking about our favorite Christmas cookies.  Mine are the thumbprint cookies with the frosting in the middle.  Golda and I decided we would try harder to get to the bottom of the cookie tins this year, but Grandma always seems to have a limitless supply of everyone's favorites.

Ruby says, "Grandma always knows what's best.  She is understanding and kind."  Absolutely true.  It's always a safe bet, if you have a problem, to take it to Grandma.  She will know what to do, and make it so clear what path to take.  Scott's favorite thing is that his mom is always mindful of us and our family's concerns and needs, and is always providing support for us.  I guess my favorite thing about Grandma is that her influence and presence provides a safe haven from whatever the world throws at us.  With Marlene, right and wrong is very clear and very simple.  I am grateful for her straightforward and direct testimony of the gospel and the way that her faith has directed her life.  I have Marlene and Bruce to thank that my children have such a wonderful father.  Thank you, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  We love you.

No comments: