Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bummer

Monday night, Ptolemy started throwing up.  Why, oh why do we have to do the stomach flu NOW?  We've DONE the stomach flu during a 12-hour drive, and it wasn't any fun at all.  I was so determined that nobody else would get it, I banned everybody from touching Ptolemy.  I bought three kinds of hand sanitizer, Lysol and Clorox spray, antibacterial wipes, and antibacterial soap for every bathroom.  I started giving the kids probiotic yogurt, Flintstone vitamins and lots of water.  I started carrying the antibacterial wipes in my hand and the antibacterial hand gel in my pocket.  My kids' hands are raw.  At this rate, they might end up in the ER blinded by Lysol spray before they get the stomach flu.  I spray them and their friends down whenever they get in or out of the car.  I spray their backpacks, homework, musical instruments and clothes.

Last night, I was thinking that if this germ-o-phobe behavior actually works, I'm going to become a convert.  Then I got sick in the night.  I feel OK, but I don't want to contaminate the rest of the family.  Kids made their own breakfast, did their own practicing and are having school lunch.  I'm missing my friends' Thursday lunch and book club today, and I have to cancel all my violin lessons and shop appointments.  I'll have to miss the ballet recital Golda, Ruby and Lexie are putting on tonight, too, and Xanthe is dancing in it.  The thing I hate most about the stomach flu is the inevitability of it.  It always wins.  We will all get it.  Someone will be throwing up in the car on the 12-hour drive.  Someone will have diarrhea at the beach.  And there is nothing we can do to stop it.  I know;  I tried.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

We missed you! Jenn R said, "I don't remember Circe ever missing". You are right, I hate the inevitablity of the flu. I hope it moves fast and the trip is fabulous. You are going to blog while you are gone right?

The homestead said...

I'm so sorry. At the first sign of the stomach flu when her kids were little, my sister would pass around a cup and have everyone take a drink. She figured they'd all get it anyway, might as well just do it all at the same time.

Jennie said...

I'm so sorry! I hope it passes quickly. What can I do to help tonight? Anything?

Nate said...

Hope you are better soon and that nobody else gets sick! Yao Yao had it last week..not fun but at least it only lasted a couple of days.

sws said...

yuch. get it out of your system before your trip! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Emily said...

oh yeah the trip!! now I know why you were not your normal relaxed self. yes stomach flu & road trip BAD COMBO..... it might help to know that a pediatrician told me & it says on web md ( i know, recovering germ phob) that you are MOST contagious the 2-3 days AFTER you feel better from the stomach flu, more then when you are actually throwing up..... that is why it is so hard to contain. Good luck, might be worth the effort- u never know...?