Thursday, October 28, 2010

Costuming

It's not even Halloween yet, and people are running around in costume.
 Yes, it's Egypt Day in 6th grade.  I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Ellison's old King tut costume!  Thanks, Sarah.  Ruby went to school bearing dates and pomegranates for her virtual tour of the Nile River Delta.  Egypt Day was 6th grade mayhem.
 Uncle Trajan showed up at our house at 7:00 AM the other day with gifts from the Great Wall of China.  That day in Ari's class, the teacher read a story about the Great Wall of China.  The story said, "Some people who visit bring back t-shirts that say, "I climbed the Great Wall of China."  And Ari was wearing just such a shirt!  Can you believe it?  Her teacher emailed me to tell me about it, it was such a funny coincidence.  Thanks, Traj!
Memoirs of a Last-Minute Halloween Costume.  An hour before the ward Halloween party, all six kids were rummaging around in the costume closet.  This is what Golda came up with.  Ari wore the queen costume that has served as Shakespeare garb and Greek Day finery as well as Halloween.  It's a far cry from our first few Halloweens when I would start browsing around fabric stores in mid-August looking for ideas. 

This is what fit Ptolemy from the costume closet. My sis-in-law Emily said she remembered Xanthe wearing it. I said, "You mean that day I left her at the dentist's office?" It's almost child abuse that my little Tolly doesn't have a homemade Halloween costume for his second Halloween, poor deprived little soul. But look how cute he is as a mouse! I almost can't stand it!  We'll just pretend we put a lot of thought into his get-up.  It's better than admitting he's wearing the costume we bought on clearance after Halloween for the express purpose of making Xanthe play the part of a baby mouse when the girls play "Nutcracker."

 Freestone is a zombie.  I tried to make him a zombie costume out of his worn-out clothes, but Free would have none of it.  He said zombies only wear certain ripped clothing.  I didn't know zombies were so particular about their wardrobes.  Free finally found the perfect items to rip.  Or R.I.P.

Need I say more?  This costume is perfect. 

Even our dinner dressed up.  Plain old taco soup served in fine china.  It's all about the costume, I tell you.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

See it pays to have such cute kids. They look adorable no matter what! And I think they all look like weeks of planning were involved. You shouldn't have told us!

Kristi said...

I gotta say, Freestone looks very creepy. Very, very creepy....

I want to pick up Tolly and squeeze him. Are you kidding me? Could he be cuter?!!

Jacy said...

Freestone looks great - I mean, so scary! And the mouse is too cute!!
-jacy