Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Best 12 Hours


Top Five conversations for the 12-hour car ride to Imperial Beach:

Does that look fun at all? (Every time we see a couple on a Harley)
How would you like to live HERE? (Usually in Baker, California or Zzyzx Road, Nevada)
Dad, there's no sound in my movie! (All the time)
I can't help you, Xanthe. I'm driving a two-ton vehicle. (Every 5 minutes)
Should we rent a motor home and see the country? (followed by laughter)

We have the perfect system in place for the drive down to Cali.  2:45 AM, leave our house.  6:00 AM, breakfast in Cedar City.  12:00 noon, lunch in Barstow.  3:00 PM, pull up to the beach, try to beat our VTS (Van to Sand) record.  The kids were in the ocean before the garage door went up for the parking garage.  I don't know if we'll be able to beat that next year.







This time, we broke up the road trip with a visit to some of Scott's long-lost friends, the Pelatos, just an hour shy of our final destination.  The Pelatos were Scott's second family during his mission.  He loved them, and they always treated him like a son.  I had never met the famous Pelatos, so it was wonderful for me to finally meet them and for Scott to introduce our kids to them.  They live in a beautiful house with a pool and a very polite little dog.  It was a perfect start to a trip that promises to be all about strengthening relationships and investing in the people we love.  Thanks, Pelatos!

2 comments:

Nate said...

Your 12 hour conversations make me smile! Xanthe is like Em. She demands that I get whatever she needs now! So what if I am driving in traffic:) The Van to sand race sounded fun. Glad you are having a great trip.

laurel said...

Fun!!!! We vow never to take road trips like that. My kids can't make it 4 hours to grandmas.

Have fun!!!!