Friday, March 20, 2015

Ballet Variations

Company class invited parents to come see some of the variations the girls have been learning the past few months.  Our studio isn't a place where parents observe class, so it's a rare treat to be invited in to watch.  In fact, Scott has never seen these girls in action, outside of recital, which isn't surprising.  I mean, it would be weird for a dad to be watching ballet classes.  After several grand allegros and some variations, the girls were catching their breath.  Scott leaned over to me and said, "Do they work this hard every class?"  I know what he means.  We take for granted their hard work, not stopping to think about what they have to work for during those two hours between when we drop them off and when we pick them up.  There is literally blood, sweat and tears.  And this is after most of them were at Dance Company for 3 hours!  Last week, Ruby's arms were so sore from a move in Dance Company that she couldn't lift them for several days.  Unless she was in class.  Then she had to.

Christie rattled off a grand allegro combination for the girls, then turned on the music and they danced.  I told Scott that in my fourth grade classes, we learn each of those steps - pas de chat, assemble, changement, etc. - one at a time in isolation, for a month or more.  It takes years of careful training to be able to put them all together correctly.  Here is another one.
And another one!  And then it was time for variations.
I love the Four Swans variation.  Golda said this is the worst they have ever danced it, but you can see how difficult it is!
My absolute favorite was Golda's solo, the Don Quixote Kitri Variation.  Golda has always had good stage presence.  She captured the character!  I love her character during the echappes, and the piques en pointe!  Wow.
The Giselle Variation  Golda and Savannah
The Giselle Peasant Variation  Golda and Ashley

These girls spend a lot of time together.  All but a couple are in Dance Company, so they dance together every B day at school, and three times a week at ballet, plus modern and jazz.  A lot of them have been dancing together since preschool.
Clytie pointed out how fortunate we are to have Christie Perry teach Company class and Advanced 2, which is the class Ruby is in.  Christie works them hard and teaches them correctly.  She is very dedicated, and the girls respond by pushing themselves to the brink.

Emma Kruitbosch, Golda's pretend cousin.  They looked so much alike when they were little, they told everyone they were cousins.  I think people still believe they are.
 I strongly believe that the best thing you can do for your children is to find them the best teachers.  It kindof doesn't even matter what subject they're learning, as long as it comes with discipline, respect and hard work.  It just so happens that the teachers I know are those in the arts.  All the better!  For me, at least.  I love dance and music, we all know that.  Although this fact is undervalued in American culture, the teacher-student relationship is literally the most important formative relationship a child can have, outside of their parents.  So it's important that children experience that relationship.  It teaches them to be receptive to learning, to "respect their elders," as my dad would say, and shows them what they can become.  It also teaches them how to foster the next generation, their own children included.

That's why I'm so thankful to Clytie for working for so many years to create a place that's full of good teachers and a safe place for kids to learn and grow.  My kids would be so different without her influence.  So would I!  Without ballet, I never would have learned to suffer for a goal, or dance out my frustrations or know my friends in the way only years of dressing room hi-jinks can provide.

Well, enough Sappy Senior babbling.  I'm just happy we've arrived so safely and so well at Golda's senior year, and grateful for everyone who lifted her to this point(e).  Ha ha

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your blogs were very inspiring today. Somedays I wonder why I am putting in the effort of driving my kids all over the place. But watching your girls gave me the motivation to keep going. It must be so nice to see all of their hard work paying off.

Jennie said...

I'm so glad you posted all of the videos. They were beautiful. Golda, you are such a talented dancer. It has been so fun to see your growth and maturity transform over the years, not only in dance, but in life. Well done senior girl. It was fantastic.

michelle said...

I am so glad you got to go watch! What fun video! So amazing and gorgeous!

laurel said...

Beautiful. What amazing dancers.

sws said...

That was beautiful! All that hard work and years of dedication is definitely paying off. Well done, Golda and Dopp family!