Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Embark

 Golda was thrilled when she was called to be in charge of New Beginnings this year.  She loves to organize and plan things.  She quickly called two other girls to be on her committee, one of whom was Araceli, and ran a tight ship preparing for an evening of "embarking in the service of God."  Araceli got a few lessons in following through from her big sister, so it was a good learning experience for her.
 The committee's ideas were so cute.

 Little treats loosely connected to different places, with tablecloth art by Golda.



 Fruit "from Hawaii."
 This is Ruby, writing her talk during the opening song.  We were all sitting around at Coco and Bill's an hour before New Beginnings, after we had gotten back from Jim and Da's.  Scott arrived from his brothers weekend in Vegas, and we were all relaxing when Ruby said offhandedly, "I guess I should write my talk for New Beginnings."  We all started getting nervous and pressuring Ruby to go write her talk.  She cannot be pushed, however, and continued to eat chocolate and talk travel until she was good and ready to mosey on home and write that talk.  When we arrived at the church, she said, "I think I'll write more on my talk."  I could never pull that off, but Ruby did.  Her talk was exceptional.

 Golda also spoke, and was so poised and eloquent, Scott and I had tears in our eyes.  I am so proud of Golda.  I remember looking up to the older Laurels as they ran these events, thinking how polished they were.  I specifically remember Libby Fowler being in charge of New Beginnings, and how well she pulled it off.  Now my own daughter is in that position, carrying all this responsibility with confidence, and I'm sure, being an example to the younger girls.  They would do well to emulate Golda.  She is a strong and valiant soul.
The program included this inspiring video, highlighting this year's theme, Embark.  There is a part where a young woman gets her mission call.  Scott and I were both in tears, thinking about how near that time is for Golda.  We only have one year until she is in that same "boat," "embarking" on a mission.  Some of the girls made the point in their talks that "embark" connotes a commitment, as once you are on a ship, you can't get off.  Golda has already embarked on her goal to serve a mission, and she is as dedicated as a parent could hope, to her goals and beliefs.  I love our girls, and I am extremely grateful for the profound and positive influence their church leaders have on them.  There is NO way Scott and I could raise these children alone, without the influence of the gospel and the church.  Both Golda and Ruby thanked their leaders in their talks, their voices heavy with emotion.  We as parents have been very fortunate to have others to carry the weight with us, and for us, in guiding these girls.  We could never do it alone.  Im grateful for the women who have chosen to embark on the journey with our daughters, guiding them through storms and helping them navigate their way through.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Golda did great. This was a classy, mature New Beginnings.

Jennifer said...

Oh, and Ruby's talk was written on the fly? I'd kill for those skills! (Well, not kill, but "kability for those abilities" makes no sense.) Her message was wonderful.

Jennie said...

What a fun evening. I LOVE her table décor for the treats. What a clever idea to draw on the paper. Cute, but simple. I agree. Golda, and all of your girls have grown into such fine women. You have every right to be proud. They have such a bright future before them. I'm so excited to see them launch into this next phase of life. However... not too quickly. I'll miss this phase too! :(((