Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Princess Whiney

Ever since February, when both the Dopp family and the King family had birthday parties for Tziporah, she thinks she needs gifts wherever she goes.  Last week at Coco and Bill's house, Tziporah came to me with her big eyes and plump, round cheeks and said, "I need my presents now!"  Rolayne jumped on the bandwagon and said, "Ya!  We need our presents!"

Coco asked them what they wanted and Tziporah ordered a "pink princess dress and a crown."  As the rest of us stood by in awe of Coco's magical gifting skills, everyone's favorite shopper led the girls downstairs.  They emerged each with a new, pink princess dress that Coco just happened to have.  I wish I could say that Tziporah was as overcome with gratitude as Rolayne, who was 100% delighted, but Tziporah's satisfaction only lasted a few minutes.  Then she said, "Where's my crown?"

Coco had a custom-made crown on the little princess's head immediately.  She knows that when Tziporah asks for something, you have two choices:  give it to her or listen to her whine steadily and with heart, until the next thing comes along that she wants.  She is a very dedicated whiner.  Tziporah is like one of those women in certain cultures that are hired to wail at funerals.  She can whine for hours.  "I wanted orange juice!  I wanted orange juice!  I wanted orange juice!"  That will go on unless and until a new thing presents itself.  "I wanted orange...that was MY coloring book, Tolly!  That was MY coloring book, Tolly!"

She just has a lot of crying in her.  Except when Coco produces a new pink princess dress, of course.  Forget discipline.  Give the kid a princess dress and a crown!  Just make sure you have orange juice on hand for after the novelty of the new dress wears off.

No comments: