Thursday, March 26, 2015

Federation



Freestone joked, "Is this where you sit if you're
last chair in orchestra?"
Last Saturday, Araceli played in Federation.  It's funny how each instrument's community has a different vibe.  Flute players on the whole seem to be quite uptight, and flute federation reflects their Type-A personalities.  You can cut the tension with a knife, and I've heard piano is even worse.  Cello federation was much more relaxed and happy.  The judges didn't even ask for a copy of the music.  It was structured in hour-long blocks where we're all in one room together and it's like a recital.  That cuts down on the chopping-block dread of waiting your turn in the hall to go before the judges all alone.  Almost everyone played well.  Araceli played very well, except she had a memory slip.  Not a big one.  She never has memory slips!  She practices from memory, just because it's so easy for her.  I totally don't relate; most people don't.  She said it was because she looked at me.  Ha ha.  She got a Superior rating anyway.  Phew!  It's always nice to get that perfect score.
Gardner Hall at the U, where I spent every Saturday morning for 6 years.

Afterwards, I said, "Let's celebrate!  Where do you want to go?"
"You decide, Mom."
"I'm not the one who just got a Superior in Federation!"
"Ya but you're the one who made me practice."

Could this girl be any more lovely?  I'm so glad I got to spend that time with her.  Her time slot fell right during both of our ballet classes, so Araceli had her leotard on under her outfit, just in case we made it back for part of ballet.  I got a sub for my classes.  Scott could have taken Araceli to this thing, but I just wanted to.  It was the culmination of all those Friday morning lessons that I've sat through, taking notes, at 6 in the morning.  I just didn't want to miss the payoff; it's too much fun.  We didn't make it back for any of our ballet, but we did grab a muffin and a smoothie at Java Joe's in the avenues.  It was a beautiful, sunny Saturday morning to take time out to appreciate Araceli and the wonderful girl she's turning out to be.  All because of me making her practice, of course. ;)

1 comment:

Jennie said...

We need video of her piece. I'm sure it was fantastic.